My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby Ampair » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 am

Uh oh.
Freight timetables :-(
I ordered a parcel - it took 4 1/2 days to get here. I ordered another the next day. It hasn't shipped yet. 4 days after that, I ordered again, that one arrived in NZ today having taken a total of two days 5 hours so far. All from Hobby King, only the first parcel had a Li-Po. I am quite sure there is a system here, but it escapes me at the moment.
(No Swiss POS was used in the shipping of these parcels. ;-))

BTW, you are guilty of ruining several of my shirts, I keep looking at the picture of the Telemetry unit and drooling.
Ampair

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Ampair wrote:BTW, you are guilty of ruining several of my shirts, I keep looking at the picture of the Telemetry unit and drooling.

The new bits arrived today -- the MP3 audio module and the uber-tiny 10Hz GPS receiver. I'll post pictures soon
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Mechcondrid » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

so no "guess-tamet" on how much one of these might cost once finished?
Mechcondrid

Postby suchislife » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 am

Mechcondrid - see Bruces' post from a few weeks ago for cost estimate:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=71&start=270#p4242
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby Mechcondrid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Ok wow wonder how the search function missed that when I searched for price well what's the difference between the vario-lite and the "hub"? Other than gps and such does it still have a lcd?
Mechcondrid

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 am

The vario-lite just has an earbud and small box that plugs into the module on the transmitter end so it gives you vario-tones. At the model end it has a tiny circuit board that plugs into the receiver's data port. No LCD -- just pure vario.

The full system has and LCD, GPS, barometric and some spare digital/analog inputs.

Just testing out the new uber-small GPS receiver (16mm square) and the voice board.
tinygps.jpg
tinygps.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 18574 times
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby rayholland » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Wow, that's small. Does this litlle GPS receiver also has a builtin-antenna?

Ok, maybe a bit off-topic, but just an idea: use the 'vario-lite' without the 'small box'. I mean, instead of using a extra 'small box', use the Turnigy 9x with eraz firmware with modified JollyJoker FrSky code.
see JollyJoker post viewtopic.php?f=47&t=213&start=10#p3918

So, when the battery (in the airplane,etc) is low the Turnigy 9x starts to beep (no more, no less, nothing fancy).
@JollyJoker: what do you think about this?
rayholland

Postby Mechcondrid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:04 pm

ya that could be easily done by just hooking it to the internal buzzer speaker i think
Mechcondrid

Postby eariii » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:The vario-lite just has an earbud and small box that plugs into the module on the transmitter end so it gives you vario-tones. At the model end it has a tiny circuit board that plugs into the receiver's data port. No LCD -- just pure vario.

tinygps.jpg

I am keenly interested in the vario-lite version. I fly gliders almost exclusively and until recently have done that on 50Mhz here in the USA. I had been planning on purchasing a self-contained vario (there are several models out there), but after recently receiving my FrSky V2 telemetry xmitter and receiver, I now see the advantage to simply using the telemetry data stream for this purpose.

I am wondering if there will be a DIY kit of sorts, or do you plan on simply providing plans, etc...?

Interested,
Skip
Skip Richards - WB7VXM
Pueblo, CO USA
eariii

Converting to 2.4GHz

Postby cantz506 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Bruce and Hi to all,

new of this forum and new (less than new... just thinking about) of 2.4GHz!
I'm reading a lot about the subject and the most result is messing up all the news. :(
I use a MPX Royal EVO9, upgraded to PRO, but w/o PCM option and still with 2.62 sw. (35MHz)
I'm thinking to buy a FrSky Two Way system, as I'd like to have telemetry too, but the DIY hack module
hasn't that facility. Furthermore, I don't see any system that show data coming from the model, execpt, maybe, some alarms and led blinking on the two external modules for Futaba and JR radios.
Thus, reading about your project, I... saw again the LIGHT! :mrgreen:
Nevertheless, need confirmation about the items I need: a two way FrSky receiver and a JR (or Futaba) external Tx?
I could also wait for FrSky DIY module with telemetry, but no one knows how long to wait for it.

Anyway, about telemetry I like your project and I'd use it for (in order of priority):
- rx voltage
- variometer
- GPS coordinates (...lost model find :roll: )
- a second battery voltage or current sunk.

Your idea about a speech processor is absolutely good, as it is quite easy to loose your model watching somewhere else! (don't ask how I know it :roll: )
Anyway, your choice about the lift and sink tones is unusual: low pitch and high pitch tone are usually heard for sink and lift respectively, both increasing frequency repetition according to their values. No tone for steady condition.
About GPS data, it would be nice to store them on a SD card while receiving and to show them on the display, only on demand (at least the last data received!)

A text only display with max four values displayed should be enough; if more than four variables are transmitted by the model, it should be possible to select which one must be shown on the display, but all stored on a card would be great!

Well, before giving any other suggestion, maybe it's better to understand more about the subject! :mrgreen:
Thanks for your help, Piero.
cantz506

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry