Knobs to Switches - 9i

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Knobs to Switches - 9i

Postby stam6267 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm using the Turnigy 9i for FPV, with my FY21Ap and OSD I'm using the Hov Pit and Hov throttle pots to switch modes on the OSD and FY21.... not the end of the world but I would like to swap the pots for 3 position switches. Wonder if anyone else has done this?

I have 1 Eurgle 9 and a Turnigy 9 will convert one for permenant FPV use so I feel have 3 pos switches would be more beneficial on the dedicate FPV transmitter.
stam6267

Re: Knobs to Switches - 9i

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 am

You could do it by using a three-position single-pole switch and some resistors.

Like yourself, I found the lack of a "useful" 3-position switch on the 9X a bit of a PITA so I ended up using my JR9XII (9303) for some of my FPV stuff with the FY21AP.

The other option is to look at the ER9X software which allows you to do almost anything -- once you've reflashed your radio.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby stam6267 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 am

I’m thinking of flashing the firmware on one of the transmitters but thought I may end up with just awkward combinations of the 2 position switches to set the various modes on the OSD and FY21. So the 3 position switch may be a better option.
stam6267

Postby palton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:18 pm

If you reflash to er9x software I got a link saved from a blog post I found on diydrones.com. It shows how to configure what you're after. Using the 3 position switch and another switch to make 6 modes select able on the radio. Configuring three modes is a subset and quite obvious how to when looking at the post.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/mode-switch-setup-for-turnigy

There is other mods possible as well, like Bruce says, a switch and resistors. Got a link for that as well but its a 6 position mod and not 3, but the principles are the same.

This is a 6 position selector how to, for flightmodes (ardupilot).

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/6-position-mode-switch-for-apm

Thought it could be interesting post for you to read.
palton

Postby stam6267 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Good stuff... Manys thanks

I've order the programmer to flash the transmitter as it looks like the way forward.

Even the six positon swith would be useful and more tactile than the pot, especially when wearing goggles.
stam6267

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks