The eePe thread.

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: The eePe thread.

Postby rogueqd » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 am

If anyone else is thinking about getting a SmartieParts board I'd do it now. It looks like he's received another 200 boards, but they usually sell out pretty quickly.

Edit: Just to keep this on topic. If you set a channel to get it's value from it's self and set it's switch to on you get a sort of position memory, so you can replace the value of that channel with whatever and the channel will remember the value.

I'm going to make a short YouTube vid showing this on Wednesday. I use it to remember my throttle position, so I can get the plane flying level, store the throttle position, then after I've landed I can check the value and use it as the middle value in my throttle curve.
rogueqd

Postby Oops » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Continue from my !help! with ERx9 request in different thread:

Put curved etc in and it works to a certain degree. The camera misses the canopy quite nicely but in the mid section, above the canopy, it actually pans in a central tilt position and I cannot tilt the camera up. While on the left and right I have full control in tilt I have no control in tilt in the midsection.

Head scratching and waiting for the ahaa moment.

I looked in eepe if there is a virtual radio to test it, cannot find it. Is there something like that?

ps: I copied this to the eepe section as well and continue there.
Oops

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 am

Oops wrote:I looked in eepe if there is a virtual radio to test it, cannot find it. Is there something like that?

Yep. If you click on a model to get its setup page you will see a button at the bottom called Simulate. Click on that and the Tx simulator window pops up. See piccies for clarification. :)

The simulate button is at the bottom of this window.

The Tx simulator.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Oops » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 am

No wonder I didn't spot it, was off the bottom of the page. Thanks sid. And I think I know the solution but first need to grap some lunch.
Oops

Postby Oops » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 am

The smartyparts board has arrived. Hopefully over the weekend I get some time to put it in. One question though, the larger connector has seven holes but only four have wires connected (red, white, green, black). I presume they ran out of four pin connectors.
Oops

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:53 am

The large connector is a deliberate mistake so you can't plug it in the wrong way round... Make sure pins line up with connectors... I missed by one and spent ages trying to install drivers...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Oops » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Keith, make sence to the electronic challenged under us.. Looking at the photo earlier in this thread my connectors are different.
Oops

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:46 pm

I received mine a couple of days ago and my connectors are different... On the photos the backlight looks like it has four wires, mine has two... It works OK though connected to a USB and a jumper between VDO and 5v... I rewired one of Hobby Kings $5 backlights and tried it as it is a lot thicker and maybe brighter... Would not work though as it probably needs more volts... Waiting for another 9x to arrive now to fit it in... I could not do the mod on my old one as I have about 8 Rx's that would have been useless... So 8 models on my old one, 16 on the ER9x and 5 on an old Hitec flash 5 I am converting to 2.4 = 29 models... That should keep me going for a while...
Keith

Postby rogueqd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Both backlights only have two wires. The smartieparts EL backlight requires 60V AC which comes from the pins on the smartieparts board. The hobbyking backlight uses 5V DC so you can't plug it in to the same pins. Although you might be able to connect it to the 5V breakout pins that the smartieparts board uses to detect if the light should be on or off.

After using both I'd have to say that the huge battery drain from the HK backlight isn't worth the extra brightness imho.
rogueqd

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:49 am

Sid Sideslip wrote:
Oops wrote:Thanks Sid. I wonder if I have the same cable because mine is a normal USB which sticks into the computer. Nope, its the FrSky USB cable, and no idea yet what to do with that yet :oops: So what is the Hobbyking equivalent of your cable or whoever sells this?

You've lost me here. I was assuming you fitted the SmartyParts 9x Add-on Board with built-in Programmer and EL Backlight (link below image).

As you can see, this programmer board come with a mini usb connector which fits snugly in a slot in the battery compartment.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=331&zenid=cd7eb929f1e449dd661da6fadcd35cba

Btw, the FrSky usb cable if for flashing firmware upgrades on your FrskY DIY transmitter kit.

Sure looks like four wires connecting the BL to the board here or are my eyes worse than I thought...?

Just had a closer look..It's the shadow....
Keith

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks