FPV visor discussion

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV visor discussion

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Rixx wrote:Regardless of actual camera and LCD resolutions, I need sharp image to read OSD :)

Hi... good job on getting something working that gives you that 'immersive' feeling... something I want as well.

How did you go with your OSD?

Does your inexpensive monitor allow you to see it well enough, or did you forgo it in the end?

tnx...
AltechMYOB

Postby GTiDon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:28 am

How well do these 3.5" TFT displays perform outside on a sunny day?

My first FPV flight test on a glossy laptop screen did not go well...
GTiDon

Postby Rixx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Email alerts on new replies in this thread somehow doesn't work for me, sorry for late replies guys :)

AltechMYOB wrote:How did you go with your OSD?
Does your inexpensive monitor allow you to see it well enough, or did you forgo it in the end?
tnx...

OSD is okay, readable.

GTiDon wrote:How well do these 3.5" TFT displays perform outside on a sunny day?
My first FPV flight test on a glossy laptop screen did not go well...

My LCD screen also has shiny glossy box, so without my laborously carved face mask, I would end just like you. I would never trust ANY screen finish out in daylight, use at last big black paper box as a shade for your laptop. That should help a bit.
Rixx

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Rixx wrote:OSD is okay, readable.

Thanks for your reply... better late than never!

I'm of the age that I need reading glasses (poor old fart :cry: ) making all this a little harder again to achieve. I'm starting to wonder weather using any cheap screen that is driven by composite video is worth the trouble... so many digital-to-analog and back again conversions from source to final viewing leaves the signal for display far from 'tack-sharp'. In a former life ( ;) ) I was responsible for all maintenance/repair for a full-broadcast-spec television studio... as such I'm a little fussy about the quality of video I like to see.

What OSD hardware/software are you using?

Are you able to make out all the data that you want to, or is some of it just not sharp enough?

Thanks again :)
AltechMYOB

Postby msev » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 am

Bruce if your reading this please please share the link to the lcd your going to use for the video visor :D...This is the most important piece of info in my opinion on rcmodelreviews :)
msev

Postby Rixx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 am

AltechMYOB wrote:What OSD hardware/software are you using?

Are you able to make out all the data that you want to, or is some of it just not sharp enough?

I use only Super Simple mini osd from HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=19369 , saving $$$ for some OSD with GPS + RTL.

All data... well it shows only two voltages + stopwatch :D. So yes, I can read them easily. It is not much about sharpness, but screen size. Whats okay for me could be too small for someone else.
Rixx

Previous

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks