Frsky 2.4 on Futaba 7C, where does the cables go?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: Frsky 2.4 on Futaba 7C, where does the cables go?

Postby hiTmanhiT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 pm

And I'm happy to report that it worked out!
Tomorrow Im ready for first flight with this system.

With the AT-40 trainer, so no big loss if something fails, but I doubt that it will :mrgreen:
Visit my Youtube channel for awesome RC-videos from Norway!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiTmanhiT92
hiTmanhiT

Postby funtana » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 am

Just as a matter of interest where have you mounted the led board on your 7c, i have mine on the back but if i did another i think i would put it on the side directly opposite to the charging socket, i hate drilling holes on the front of a transmitter and don't really like bright red lights shining directly at me, i often put some matt black paint over them but can't really do that with the frsky. :lol:
funtana

Postby hiTmanhiT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 pm

@funtana:
I just used some hot glue(easy to remove) and glued it to the hole where the crystal used to be. Fits like a charm, and the button is not too easy or to hard to push. Though the led is kind of sticking out.

Got to do some testing today. And I gotta say, I'm not really happy about this, sadly. I really had my beliefs in this system after the reviews.
But I gotta say I'm a little bit dissapointed.

First of all, did some range testing at the field. Could walk away maybe 10-15 meters with the range-test mode, and the antenna vertical.
I was a little bit sceptical then, but decided to try it out anyways, and fly carefully on crash course to safe places just in case i would loose control.

So I took it away from range-test mode and got flying. Everything seemed fine. Until... I did some approach legs, and a couple of meters before the airstrip, I had no control for about 1 second. This is when I decided to take it down for landing, and took a new approach. Got a little bit far away, and then it happened.... I lost complete control.
So I ran forward, and strecthed my arms forward, and LUCKILY I got the control back again. So I landed it and everything went fine.
But oh my I was sceptical to this system at all.

Since this was a hack module, I thought that maybe I had done some bad soldering or something(though I do not think so), and checked it. It looked all fine.
So then I decided to try out the external module I got for a JR DX9, which I was allowed to borrow this season. But, this refused to bind in any way. I had no idea why. At this point I was really starting to regret that I bought this.

But, I would not give this up.
So luckily I had bought a couple of receivers to this system.
So I decided to try another. Same type, the 8ch.
I got it in, and binded (with the 7C, the DX9 still would not bind). Then I started some range testing. And this was really looking better.
I started to walk away, with the antenna vertical. And at the most Im guessing I got away about 40-45 meters. But at all angles, the most I could go away was probably 35 meters. The manual said 30-meters. So I found this very much OK, since this was at complete ground level.

I and then I put it to the air, fairly sceptical, but I wanted to try this out.
And it seemed to work out great! Got to fly away pretty far, and no loss of control. So I am very happy with that now.

But, Im still not happy about the fact that my reciever is probably defect/faulty, and that the external module does not work.
I checked the external module and inside the was a loose plasticthing with some tiny metal-connectors on the side. This was fitted on the modules connector.

So I am going to contact Himodel, and hopefully get a replacement. I did not like this :(
But I will continue testing and using the Frsky system for sure, until I find out it is either crap or usable :)
hiTmanhiT

Postby funtana » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 am

Sounds like you have a faulty receiver and a faulty plug in module, that really is bad luck, there have been a few reports of faulty modules and receivers and i myself had a hack module fail after more than 30 flights, it was replaced but i still don't know why it failed.

the frsky is supposed to be better than a lot of chinese systems but they still have quality control issues to sort out, on my system i can get at least 50 metres in range check mode and have had no range problems when flying.

we have a report here in the uk of a plug in module that had done 250 flights and it suddenly started to smoke, a tantalum capacitor had failed though this component has been upgraded since last april,

these issues are one of the reasons i personally wont be buying anymore receivers untill i have done a lot more flight testing.

email jonathon at frsky the address is on the frsky website and let him know about your problem he will help you sort it out, good luck.
funtana

Postby hiTmanhiT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:33 am

I actually have to send them the defect receiver and module to get a replacement.
A shipment to them, will cost me at least 40$ here from Norway. And I hope that they will cover it, though I somehow doubt it..

Was it a mistake going the cheap way this time?
hiTmanhiT

Postby hiTmanhiT » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Officially giving up this system I think.
Was setting up my U-can-do 46 yesterday, with Align DS610 servos.
Did NOT get smooth servo-movement at all. Really choppy.

So now I am probably going back to 35mhz for a while. Just have to do a lot of range-checks and tests before I send it in the air with 35mhz though.

The cheap way, isn't always the right way... I guess I have had REALLY bad luck with Frsky.

I am wondering what kind of 2.4ghz system I should buy next. (Prices on Futaba, JR, Spektrum isn't excactly tempting, but they seem somewhat reliable compared to my experiences with the Frsky system). Probably not going the cheap way this time.
hiTmanhiT

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Sounds strange. I've been flying 3D with mine (+/- 50 degree throws on *BIG* surfaces) and not noticed any issues.

I wonder if it's somehow related to your Align servos or your power system.

What's powering your receiver and servos?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hiTmanhiT » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:33 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Sounds strange. I've been flying 3D with mine (+/- 50 degree throws on *BIG* surfaces) and not noticed any issues.

I wonder if it's somehow related to your Align servos or your power system.

What's powering your receiver and servos?

It's only powered by a 4.8v nimh battery.
Could this be to little?

Switched over to 35mhz today, got smooth servomovement.

But maybe I should try a 6v nimh or a lipo and bec?
hiTmanhiT

Postby funtana » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Like bruce im'e wondering if this might be a servo issue, iv'e tried four different servos with mine all analogue i don't own any digitals and they all work nice and smooth, all powered via a bec speed controller.

don't give up on it to quickly im'e quite happy with mine now i have it in a 7c.
funtana

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 pm

hiTmanhiT wrote:It's only powered by a 4.8v nimh battery.
Could this be to little?

The FrSky has good brownout resistance but I don't think I'd fly a 2.4GHz system of any kind with a 4.8V pack these days and certainly not a 4xAA pack (they're awful).
But maybe I should try a 6v nimh or a lipo and bec?

Try a 5-cell NiMH or (even better) a 2S 1100mAH A123 pack.

I'm doing up a video/article on how to build your own 2S 1100mAH A123 pack (for a cost of under $25). That's pretty much all I use these days, even on my Mojo 60 with Saito 100 up front.

My 50cc gasser has a 2S 2300mAH A123 pack.

The benefit of the A123s is that you don't need regulators (one less thing to go wrong and often a cause of problems when you use hi-torque digital servos because they can't deliver the massive peaks of current those servos sometimes draw).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Previous

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks