Frsky 2.4 on Futaba 7C, where does the cables go?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Frsky 2.4 on Futaba 7C, where does the cables go?

Postby hiTmanhiT » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Hello!
As soon as I get this cleared up, I am going to order the Frsky 2.4 DIY hack mod for my Futaba 7C transmitter.
But, I am not a highly advanced electronics guy, and is therefore in need of some help.

I have opened up my 7C, and I am wondering where to solder on the 3 cables on the hack-module.
There is 3 connectors on my 35mhz circuit-board. 1 for the antenna, and 2 which I do not know what is for(1 of them is probably the one I will have to solder the module on).

So guys, can you help me out here? :D

I got some pics for you of the whole thing and the 35mhz circuit board:

The one with the white and black cable is the antenna. I am guessing the connector with the 3 cables is the right one. I have no idea what the other one is for.

I am really hoping you can help me out here, so any kind of help is HIGHLY appreaciated!

Thank you!
Visit my Youtube channel for awesome RC-videos from Norway!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiTmanhiT92
hiTmanhiT

Re: Frsky 2.4 on Futaba 7C, where does the cables go?

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't have a 7C here to check but looking at what's written on the PC board I'd say the answer is in that white connector with the following markings:

MOD = PPM signal
VCC = positive
GND = negative

I would put a multimeter across the VCC and GND wires first though because although they should be the polarity I've indicated, they are using brown for negative and black for positive -- which is kind of counter-intuitive.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hiTmanhiT » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Thank you very much!
(Gotta love this forum :D )

I will try it out, check with a multimeter.
But, about the other connector there. Will it have anything to say if I just cut it off and drop it? I have no idea what it is for.. And gotta remove it to remove the board so.
hiTmanhiT

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:12 pm

I don't know what the other connector does so can't advise about that.

I'd wire up the system first by soldering your DIY module connections to the back of that 3-wire connector, removing the crystal from the board and trying it out.

if it all works okay, you can then try removing the board and test again.

Unless there's something else on that board (like a regulator for the main PCB or whatever) it should continue to work.
RCModelReviews

Postby funtana » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:31 am

hi, this is my first post on this great site, i also have a 7c awaiting a frsky hack module, the top connecter is the one but the colours are confusing, the ground is red the positive is brown and the ppm is black, the other white connecter at the bottom supplys the connections to the buddy lead socket so leave this connected, without the crystal fitted i don't think the rf board will be taking much current i'll be leaving mine connected but you could isolate it by disconnecting the top white plug and soldering directly to the wires, i have allready fitted one of these hack modules to an old ff6 and it worked fine, my intension was to transfer the module to the 7c which i picked up at a great price on ebay, unfortunately before i had a chance to do this and after more than thirty flights and just when i was fully confident in the system my module failed, fortunately i never had a model airbourne at the time, i was setting up a new model on the bench and when i switched on the transmitter i had no led illuminated, checked my connections everything was ok, so sent it back to giantcod our supplier here in the uk and am awaiting the outcome, even if it isn't replaced i will buy another as soon as he has them back in stock, i think i was just unlucky with this one as allready thousands of people are using the frsky system with no apparent problems.
funtana

Postby funtana » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:48 am

hiTmanhiT wrote:Thank you very much!
(Gotta love this forum :D )

I will try it out, check with a multimeter.
But, about the other connector there. Will it have anything to say if I just cut it off and drop it? I have no idea what it is for.. And gotta remove it to remove the board so.
there's no need to remove any plugs the rf board is simply located on four plastic lugs you just lift it off and turn it over there's plenty of slack in the leads.
funtana

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for your contribution Funtana -- it's appreciated!
RCModelReviews

Postby Roger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:02 am

the other place to check is http://www.mftech.de/buchsen_en.htm and have a look at the buddy box lead assignments...
;)
Roger

Postby funtana » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 am

Well i received a replacement hack module from giantcod and have installed it in the 7c, was a very simple job, i decided to isolate the power to the 35meg r/f board so i cut the three wires from the top plug about an inch from the plug in case i ever want to reconnect it, i then soldered directly to the three wires but remember red is ground brown is positive and black is the ppm signal,
managed four flights with it yesterday and was superb, however so was my previous module for more than 30 flights and then it mysteriously failed so i will be doing a lot more flights with this one before i invest in any more receivers.
funtana

Postby hiTmanhiT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Forgot to thank you for the help!
Thank you very much guys! Means ALOT to me!

Got my system today, and tonight I will get some soldering and testing done :mrgreen:
Let's hope for great success!
hiTmanhiT

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks