FPV backpack

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack

Postby Ciscus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:16 pm

I see that Keith is right about is comment! :(
Ciscus

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Well I've got two computers down at the moment -- waiting for a new one to replace them so I'm pretty much stuck twiddling my thumbs here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Well I've got two computers down at the moment -- waiting for a new one to replace them so I'm pretty much stuck twiddling my thumbs here.

bugger :(
AltechMYOB

Postby Shotglass » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

could you post the suppliers you found that actually have the 5.8ghz transmitter and receiver modules in stock? ive been waiting for that bit of information ever since i saw the backpack project
Shotglass

Postby randyy63 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi All:

I have been waiting for weeks for Bruce to produce the FPV backpack. I have the most respect for Bruce and his efforts. I am an Electronic Engineering Technologist, and I have been working with schematics and pcbs for over 30 years. I am not trying to step on Bruce's toes here, I just want to help out with the workload.

I sent Bruce an email a couple of weeks ago suggesting that I could produce a run of 100 pcbs for the 5.8 Ghz 200 mW transmitter TX5823 and receiver RX5808. I have designed 2 PCBs that are 2" X 1" for both the TX and RX. I have included a Voltage regulator Low drop out (LDO) and power LED on each board. On the TX I put a 3V3 and 5.0V regulator, and on the RX I put a 5.0V regulator. I can get the PCBs done and order all the parts and sell them for $15 for each board with the parts, not including the TX5823 or RX5808. I have not found a good source for TX and RX but if I do I can then include this in the kit for about another $15 to $20. I will put up a video on YouTube showing how to assemble the PCBs, each would take under 1 hour to assemble. The PCBs are mostly surface mount components except for through hole connectors for strength. I use 1206 size components surface mount to ease assembly.
I do not have Bruce's schematic but I have designed a board that does the same thing. I am doing this to help out people to get into FPV for an cheep price. I would like to get these to work with Bruce's diversity receiver. I designed schematic and pcb with EagleCAD.

Transmitter - 5.8Ghz 200mW (also works with the 20mW Tx) 8 channels with power LED
inputs - Audio & Video
camera power - 12V & 5V
Power Supply - 7V to 15V DC

Receiver - 5.8Ghz 8 channels with power LED
output - Audio & Video & RSSI and GND
Power Supply - 7V to 15V DC

If there is enough interest I can send off the PCBs and have then ready in about 3 weeks for sale. I will sell the boards with and without the TX and RX once I get a good source for these parts.

Thansk all
randyy63

Postby T3PRanch » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 am

Randy,
I am assuming you have checked here for the modules: http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/showrooms ... ter-Module
I got a pair from goodluckbuy.com for about $35 . Foxtechfpv.com has them as well.

I would like to see your eagle files if possible and also would certainly like a pair of boards. My modules are bread boarded on the bench and waiting for the air.

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 am

I think I have found the cheapest source of the modules (a little over US$10 each) but shipping is a bit high for single unit quantities.

Another reliable source is SDS Hobby but they're a bit more expensive.

Right now I have about 20 pairs of transmitter/receiver modules (as a result of trying different suppliers to verify their ability to ship and their prices) so I'll probably offer those to readers at whatever I paid for them -- although it'll be a limited offer because I'm just getting rid of the excess I've accumulated.

I'm hoping that once I've published everything, someone will start putting kits together and selling them for a (very) low cost so as to help those who don't want to be scrounging around looking for bits all over the place.

Someone ought to be able to make a small profit and still provide a very cheap kit (compared to individuals sourcing the bits themselves) because most of the parts are far cheaper in quantity.

For example, the regulators cost just 12 cents each in quantities of 50 but if you want to buy just one or two you'll end up paying $2.50 each.

If anyone's interested in doing this then they're welcome to drop me a line to talk about what's involved. I'm not taking a cut or commission on anything and not charging for use of the designs.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby randyy63 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am

Yes, I have seen these. I have bought 3 TX & RX from goodluckbuy. I have seem prices as low as $12 for each but I would have to buy a minimum of 10. I would buy about 50 of each once I find the right price and supplier. I am going to check out Bruce's new video on FPV backpack and see what new one his side.
randyy63

Postby FPVR4T » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi everyone

Am new to the FPV. I have just seen the video on Utube about this fantastic fpv backpack. where can I buy one, is their a web site for the whole thing. I would love to try and build this myself.
FPVR4T

Postby Stroman1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi FPVR4T,
Read all of the posts and you will get an idea about the availability of the backpack. It is still being developed as far as a kit I think, but lots of progress is being made. Bruce has worked hard to get this going. Go to his RCModel reviews youtube channel for a really good explanation and video about construction and design of the backpack.
Good luck, Stroman
Stroman1

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks