FPV backpack

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack

Postby T3PRanch » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 pm

[/quote]

Some folks are just not happy unless they're complaining...

I'm praying Thurmond, but only for a lightening strike I'm afraid...[/quote]

Huff and Puff :cry: :cry: ....................................... but my house is BRICK!

I have liked everyone I have ever dealt with in the Southern Hemisphere of this planet but Hallmark single handedly is dragging that average into the dirt for the ENTIRE hemisphere.

Nobody likes a gloating "Teachers Pet".

I would say pardon the off topic comments here BUT they are the only action taking place so who cares. :roll: :o

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:15 pm

T3PRanch wrote:

Some folks are just not happy unless they're complaining...

I'm praying Thurmond, but only for a lightening strike I'm afraid...[/quote]

Huff and Puff :cry: :cry: ....................................... but my house is BRICK!

I have liked everyone I have ever dealt with in the Southern Hemisphere of this planet but Hallmark single handedly is dragging that average into the dirt for the ENTIRE hemisphere.

Nobody likes a gloating "Teachers Pet".

I would say pardon the off topic comments here BUT they are the only action taking place so who cares. :roll: :o

Steady on, we are not all tarred with the same brush....!
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby j5ffx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Hallmark wrote:
j5ffx wrote:Hallmark, your absolutely right Some folks are just not happy unless they're controlling / complaining...

So just let me ask you this, why do you keep doing it?

Don't get me wrong I'm just wondering why you keep telling people to basically shut up and yet, as i understand it.
You have already got a working backpack from Bruce.

Its not even like your helping people by posting any close up pictures of it showing the schematics.
Well, not to the wider community anyway. I wonder, is that another form of control you crave.

I don't know what your problem is, maybe its little man Syndrome, maybe your just an idiot.
suffice to say, controlling/complaining.
I for 1 am sick of reading it.

Its like you want to be in charge of something and you have failed to realise that you are not!

PS. No need to reply, I'm not interested.
It would be just another one of your rants and if i wanted to read that sort of thing, id just look at your previous posts.
No no i mean it Hallmark, please don't reply to this. It would only result in stupid tit for tat comments
which i can openly admit you would win with experience.

I apologise to everyone else who's reading this, rant over.
regards Jeff

LOL Control - don't reply - Control - no don't reply..... LOL

I have posted the pics to many people because they had sense enough to ask politely ;)

Have a nice day Jeff :P

Hallmark, like i said "I don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
Take some advice, clear the air with the people your treating with contempt before this turns into a flaming forum.
Aren't we all here to learn something to gain something to better ourselves and make our fpv pastime more enjoyable?
Do you really think your helping anybody?
I personally have my FPV setup, I went out and bought it, I'm guessing the other you have seemingly gone out of your way to attack on this forum also have a working setup of one kind or another. Its the people on here who for what ever reason want to build
their own backpack and are waiting for it to be posted either on here or on YouTube (which doesn't look like it will be long now)
So i say this to you, put up or shut up!
Don't tell me these good people have to ask nicely or else, that just confirms your a self important idiot!
Or maybe someone else would like to beat you to it and post the pics, that's presuming that someone asked nicely enough.
I wonder, is that even possible.
regards jeff
j5ffx

Postby T3PRanch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Alright, Here is my quick, painless, simple version of a FPV setup.

BOM:

1 200mW 5.8GHz Transmiter module from Goodluckbuy.com
1 used security camera from e-bay
1 Micro Molex pigtail from E-Bay (for camera connection).
1 SMA PCB jack from Range Video
1 SMA lead with connector from Range Video (I built my antenna with this part and some mig wire)
1 3.3V UBEC from Hobby King
1 .1 spacing pin header from Jameco (20 pins long, break apart as needed)
Various Connectors and wiring (on hand from an Arduino project and Std RC cables).
Edit: I forgot the heatsink on the module. It is 1/4 of an old 486 processor heat sink attached with heatsink tape.

Total Cost: Roughly $50 USA Dollars

There is no switch for channel selection as it is hardwired.

Power is from a single 2S LIPO wired to the connector seen in the upper right corner (marked 7) and to the UBEC.
The white wire seen coiled at the transmitter plug is the audio input that is unused in my implementation.

I have not finalized the mounting method for each component yet but I am thinking of a "Gift Card Sled" as used in various mounts by ExperimentalAir's Ed.

Thurmond
Last edited by T3PRanch on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T3PRanch

Postby Shotglass » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm

bruce dont you think it might be a good idea to spend a little more time focusing on finalizing a project that has been ongoing as far as i can tell for over half a year now to the benefit of those who support you and a little less time making videos to piss off those who dont?
Shotglass

Postby cautious32 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:15 pm

T3PRanch wrote:Alright, Here is my quick, painless, simple version of a FPV setup.

BOM:

1 200mW 5.8GHz Transmiter module from Goodluckbuy.com
1 used security camera from e-bay
1 Micro Molex pigtail from E-Bay (for camera connection).
1 SMA PCB jack from Range Video
1 SMA lead with connector from Range Video (I built my antenna with this part and some mig wire)
1 3.3V UBEC from Hobby King
1 .1 spacing pin header from Jameco (20 pins long, break apart as needed)
Various Connectors and wiring (on hand from an Arduino project and Std RC cables).

Total Cost: Roughly $50 USA Dollars

There is no switch for channel selection as it is hardwired.

Power is from a single 2S LIPO wired to the connector seen in the upper right corner (marked 7) and to the UBEC.
The white wire seen coiled at the transmitter plug is the audio input that is unused in my implementation.

I have not finalized the mounting method for each component yet but I am thinking of a "Gift Card Sled" as used in various mounts by ExperimentalAir's Ed.

Thurmond

Hi Thurmond

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

John
cautious32

Postby baggus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 pm

If you already have 5 volts on board to power your receiver and servos this could be an option:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMS1117-3-3-D ... 2090wt_942

Power In: 4.5--7V DC

Power Out: 3.3V DC with Max 800 mA Current.
baggus

Postby rotorz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Thurmond
fantastic stuff, thank you for posting and I bet that post has also inspired a few other people to do exactly what you have done, it has definately got that "I could do that" quality, genius mate

I notice you haven't used the 470uf on the video input, does it work ok without it?

I also notice you have added a heatsink to the module, how did you attach it?

I attached mine by putting a very small amount of araldite around the edges of the tin cover applied with a cocktail stick, smeared white heatsink compound in the middle and pressed the heaksink on as hard as I dared for 5 mins until the epoxy set, never heard of anyone else doing it this way but it seems to work quite well.
rotorz

Postby T3PRanch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

rotorz wrote:Hi Thurmond
fantastic stuff, thank you for posting and I bet that post has also inspired a few other people to do exactly what you have done, it has definately got that "I could do that" quality, genius mate

I notice you haven't used the 470uf on the video input, does it work ok without it?

I also notice you have added a heatsink to the module, how did you attach it?

I attached mine by putting a very small amount of araldite around the edges of the tin cover applied with a cocktail stick, smeared white heatsink compound in the middle and pressed the heaksink on as hard as I dared for 5 mins until the epoxy set, never heard of anyone else doing it this way but it seems to work quite well.

Thanks rotorz
I tried the setup with and without the capacitor. I did not see any difference either way in short range testing. If I do see issues in flight testing it is easy to add inline in the "wiring harness".
The heat sink is attached with a double sided heat sink tape used for computer CPU's and is available from a lot of different sources. If I glued it I would use "Artic Epoxy" which is also formulated for
heat sink attachment.

By the way my receiver is similarly built and I did use the capacitor inline on it. I am using an old portable DVD player for viewing with a box attached made from black foamboard fashioned after the likeness of the OLD penny arcades.
Practically no light issues at all in any sunlit conditions.

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Postby j5ffx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Thurmond,
Thanks for posting, great stuff and a nice job.

Jeff
j5ffx

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks