Bruce' FPV Diversity Controller project

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: Bruce' FPV Diversity Controller project

Postby Rixx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 am

Me too... :roll:

Not sure if this is politically, ethically, ethnically, or whatever else, correct :D , but check the project here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661980
Rixx

Postby RONALD MCDONALD » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:41 pm

video switcher.jpg
video switcher.jpg (109.15 KiB) Viewed 18672 times
Here is a circuit that could form part of the diversity controller. It's a four channel video switcher using cheap and common
components. The I.C. marked as IC 1 (SN74139) would be replaced with your pic or what other processor your using.
I've used this circuit for switching between security cameras and it works well.
enjoy
RONALD MCDONALD

Postby j5ffx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Bruce,
So am i correct in thinking that your design dosnt use a arduino type device, its just based on a pic controller and the quad cmos ?
Or have i got it wrong?
cheers and thanks for all your doing.
j5ffx

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 pm

j5ffx wrote:Hi Bruce,
So am i correct in thinking that your design dosnt use a arduino type device, its just based on a pic controller and the quad cmos ?
Or have i got it wrong?
cheers and thanks for all your doing.

Yes... you're correct. Bruce is a 'Pic man' when it comes to small projects/micro-controllers.
AltechMYOB

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

RONALD MCDONALD wrote:
video switcher.jpg
Here is a circuit that could form part of the diversity controller. It's a four channel video switcher using cheap and common
components. The I.C. marked as IC 1 (SN74139) would be replaced with your pic or what other processor your using.
I've used this circuit for switching between security cameras and it works well.
enjoy

Hi RM... thanks for posting. Did you ever draft a PCB for this cct & if "yes" is it available?

tnx
AltechMYOB

Postby RONALD MCDONALD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 pm

AltechMYOB wrote:
RONALD MCDONALD wrote:
video switcher.jpg
enjoy

Hi RM... thanks for posting. Did you ever draft a PCB for this cct & if "yes" is it available?

tnx

Yes I did make a board but it's so long ago I doubt I still have the artwork. However I have just made a board for a diversity
controller using a picaxe 14M2 chip and four preset pots on one 3 x 2 inch board and I hope to put the video switcher on top hopefully on another 3 x 2 board. I'll let you know when designed the new video swicher board.
Best Wishes
RONALD MCDONALD

Postby j5ffx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Cheers AltechMYOB,
So, while i wait for Bruce to show us how its done. Does anyone know of another set of plans and perhaps some basic instructions showing another "PIC BASED" multi Diversity Controller project i can cut my teeth on? just something to play with on a bread board.
I'm sure i speak for more than just myself when i say that half the fun is learning something along the way.

personally speaking i wouldn't mind if Bruce released his prototypes early with what ever potential bugs. Big company's do this all the time and leave it to the masses to find them and even make our own fix.

surely this would also leave Bruce free to move onto, well who knows this is Bruce after all.

Bruce if you catch this post, maybe you might consider the human recourses you have. I for one would enjoy the opportunity to help with development and testing.
regards
j5ffx

Postby RONALD MCDONALD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:44 pm

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG (45.41 KiB) Viewed 18533 times
My plan is to make the controller and the video switcher on two separate 3 x 2 inch boards and then to piggyback them.
So far the controller board is made, programmed, and appears to work as planned (see picture). The four wires on the right are the four RSSI inputs. The row of small holes on the left will be the output to the video switcher board The schematic for the video switcher I posted on this forum but the board has yet to be designed. For the controller I'm using a PICAXE 14M2
chip. If you want to program your own chip go to the main PICAXE site and download the programming editor. If your PC has a serial port you can build a programming lead with nothing more than three resistors. If you only have USB then you will have to buy a programming lead. I'm not sure if this forum will let me upload my software but I'll try, If I can you should be able to paste it into the PICAXE programming editor then run the simulator or program your own chip.

Well I tried to upload the software several times without success. the software has the extension .Bas If anyone can tell me how I can upload it let me know. The code is crude but it works.
RONALD MCDONALD

Postby RONALD MCDONALD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Here is the code for my controller

START:
readadc b.1,b1
readadc b.2,b2
readadc b.3,b3
readadc b.4,b4
if b1 > b2 and b1 > b3 and b1 > b4 then ONE
if b2 > b1 and b2 > b3 and b2 > b4 then TWO
if b3 > b1 and b3 > b2 and b3 > b4 then THREE
if b4 > b1 and b4 > b2 and b4 > b3 then FOUR
goto start

ONE:
low c.1
low c.2
low c.4
High c.0
goto start
TWO:
LOW C.0
LOW C.2
LOW C.4
HIGH c.1
goto start
THREE:
LOW C.0
LOW C.1
LOW C.4
HIGH c.2
goto start
FOUR:
LOW C.0
LOW C.1
LOW C.2
HIGH c.4

GOTO START
RONALD MCDONALD

Postby RONALD MCDONALD » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:02 pm

START:
readadc b.1,b1
readadc b.2,b2
readadc b.3,b3
readadc b.4,b4
if b1 > b2 and b1 > b3 and b1 > b4 then ONE
if b2 > b1 and b2 > b3 and b2 > b4 then TWO
if b3 > b1 and b3 > b2 and b3 > b4 then THREE
if b4 > b1 and b4 > b2 and b4 > b3 then FOUR
goto start

ONE:
high c.1
high c.2
high c.4
low c.0
goto start
TWO:
high C.0
high C.2
high C.4
low c.1
goto start
THREE:
high C.0
high C.1
high C.4
low c.2
goto start
FOUR:
high C.0
high C.1
high C.2
low c.4

GOTO START
OK who spotted the not so deliberate mistake. The first code above works but not with the video switcher circuit that I put on the forum. The first code switches one of the outputs high depending on which rssi input is the strongest.
The video switcher requires the control lines to be switched low. This second code should work ok
RONALD MCDONALD

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks