2.4 ghz radio range booster

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

2.4 ghz radio range booster

Postby francoishaha » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 am

i seek people who have experimented 2.4ghz booster system.
I just wonder how it work... look like a good alternative to uhf or 72mhz radio.
any coment is welcome.
francoishaha

Re: 2.4 ghz radio range booster

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 am

You can use a WiFi booster to increase the power output of your transmitter (just make sure you're using the correct polarity of SMA connector).

Hiking power is nowhere near as effective as using a directional antenna though.

For example - a 20dB yagi antenna on your 60mW 2.4GHz RC transmitter effectively produces the same intensity of signal (in the direction it is pointed) as a 6W transmitter -- but without the disadvantage of saturating the nearby area with your transmitter's signal (thus affecting other RC fliers, WiFi, etc).

Boosting to 1W or so is pretty cheap but if you try to go over that then you're spending $$$ so a directional antenna is essential then anyway -- if you want to increase your range further.

Also, directional antennas have the bonus that if your RC system includes telemetry, the antenna will also extend the range over which the telemetry downlink works -- that won't happen if you just boost the transmitter power instead.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby francoishaha » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 pm

So if i understand well, im better replace my actual antenna for a directional antenna to get more range.
But what happen if i only use the booster (1watt) with a standard omni directional antenna?
francoishaha

Postby zann68 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:00 am

francoishaha wrote:So if i understand well, im better replace my actual antenna for a directional antenna to get more range.
But what happen if i only use the booster (1watt) with a standard omni directional antenna?

I use a 1 watt 2.4ghz Wifi booster Velcro-ed to the back of my DX6i and a mini voltage regulator to bring the 11.1v lipo down to 6v. You will need to see how the antenna is attached to the inside of the radio. Mine on the DX is a tiny plug. Some antenna's are soldered on. I will be posting this mod on the forum shortly with pictures. I had a fear of my plain flying out of range and hitting something or someone. This is not to say this still wont happen but does add a piece of mind. But now I use the Eagle Tree Pro OSD with RTH feature it doesn't bother me as much now :D . There are several forums that go into alot of detail how to do this. This is how I got my info on the setup.
Calm down!! Gravity has been checked, and it's still working
zann68

Postby francoishaha » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 am

Look like i got the same set-up as you Zann68. I got Eagle Tree OSD pro but i never use the RTH yet.
On my transmitter, the antenna is soldered inside, but i order a FrSky module with SMA connector, much easy to chancge the antenna with this unit ;) And for the fear of flying out of range im also looking to display the RSSI signal with the OSD.

Lost of work ahead but first i wonder if it's a good deal to use a booster instead of a UHF. Even if i already got my UHF,
it's a cheaper solution with the booster. Send me the pictures of ur mod, im shure it would be helpfull!
francoishaha

Postby zann68 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

francoishaha wrote:Look like i got the same set-up as you Zann68. I got Eagle Tree OSD pro but i never use the RTH yet.
On my transmitter, the antenna is soldered inside, but i order a FrSky module with SMA connector, much easy to chancge the antenna with this unit ;) And for the fear of flying out of range im also looking to display the RSSI signal with the OSD.

Lost of work ahead but first i wonder if it's a good deal to use a booster instead of a UHF. Even if i already got my UHF,
it's a cheaper solution with the booster. Send me the pictures of ur mod, im shure it would be helpfull!

I have not forgotten about uploading my DX6i Long Range Hack. I'm Elbow deep in building my new CNC machine. Trying to get it done and the new shop. :D
zann68

Postby zann68 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Ok this is my DX6i Range booster. Very easy to do. Things you will need follows:
(DX6i) 2.4ghz radio
1w or 2w 2.4ghz booster
A pigtail for the antenna - Not all radios use the one I had to use so look carefully at yours
Recommend the LiFePo4 battery - I used a ZIPPY Flightmax 3600mAh 2S2P 30C LiFePo4 Pack
Reason, it's 6.6v and no need for a voltage reg for a 6v device. This is one less thing you need on the radio. Just snip the power cord from the Boosters wall plug and add your choice of battery connector. I used a JST plug setup.
Attachments
Optimized-DSCN1822.JPG
Optimized-DSCN1822.JPG (20.75 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
Optimized-DSCN1820.JPG
This is how my antenna is attached
Optimized-DSCN1820.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
Optimized-DSCN1819.JPG
The stock antenna attachment
Optimized-DSCN1819.JPG (41.37 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
Last edited by zann68 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zann68

Postby zann68 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:47 pm

To continue:
Attachments
Optimized-DSCN1825.JPG
Optimized-DSCN1825.JPG (18.4 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
Optimized-DSCN1824.JPG
This is Hobby King Velcro. My opinion on this stuff is "If GOD needed to use Velcro this would be the brand he would buy"
Optimized-DSCN1824.JPG (24.54 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
Optimized-DSCN1823.JPG
Optimized-DSCN1823.JPG (22.45 KiB) Viewed 24028 times
zann68

Postby francoishaha » Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 pm

realy nice work Zann68, it's clean and good looking, professional work :)

I just receive my FrSky module for my turnigy 9x tx, it's plug and play and the SMA is already on the module.
much easy for me hehe. ill show you the picture soon
francoishaha

Postby zann68 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 am

Super!! My son got his 9x and we want to do something like that to it also. Cant wait to hear how it works for you!!
zann68

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks