Key Chain Cameras RF Noise Source?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Key Chain Cameras RF Noise Source?

Postby T3PRanch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:21 am

I am not sure where to post this so please move it if necessary. I have a Key Chain Camera and when I attached it to my KK board / Tri-Copter bad things happened. The tail servo had a bad jitter and the motors would pulse even though the throttle was at minimum and the board was not "armed". I frequent the Ardu-Copter Group since I own two APM2 boards and there was a report there of a similar incident where a pilot had had many successful flights with his tri-copter then it started acting up very badly when he added his Key Chain Camera for a flight. It did not clear up till the camera was removed. Another user with a Spectrum Analyzer said that the RF noise from the Key Chain Camera he checked was well up into the GPS frequency range. Apparently planes don't care about the potential noise but the multi-copter control boards are not happy about it at all.

Bruce I know you recently lost your camera in a midair crash but if time permits sometime and you have access to another Key Chain Camera could you check it for RF noise and if interesting enough post the results on RC Model Reviews?

Has anyone else had any similar incidents? My camera is a #11.

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Re: Key Chain Cameras RF Noise Source?

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Try wrapping the camera in aluminium foil and see if that helps.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: Key Chain Cameras RF Noise Source?

Postby AltechMYOB » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Yes, as Bill suggested, shield the entire camera & 'roll record' (as they used to say ;) ) to prove the point. I'd use a couple of layers to test as aluminum isn't the best conductor. If it fixes the problem you can cut a hole for the lens & a flap for the USB port to charge it.

In my over-the-top project (that may never leave the ground, well with me at the controls ;) ) I plan to use copper foil to shield critical components... it's not as expensive as I thought it would be and it can be soldered, allowing joining of multiple shields if needed.
AltechMYOB

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks