Dillema number 1: Turnigy Voltage Detector

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Dillema number 1: Turnigy Voltage Detector

Postby Reaverman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:29 am

Hi guys,

Having problems trying to wire in a turnigy voltage detector. I have two bare wires, and minimal of instructions to follow. Can anyone help, or advice. I have included a video, for further info. But in essence, I have two bare flimsy wires, and I suspect that they connect to the ESC. I'm just a little worried, the load might fry them.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R9wg7Ltar_E
Reaverman

Re: Dillema number 1: Turnigy Voltage Detector

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:03 am

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13276

if this is the voltage detector then it looks simple, you place the red wire on the positive and the black wire on the negative of the battery and you set a Jumper up over whatever the cell count of the battery is, and it will let you know with beeps when its low

there are better battery checkers though that use the balance plug to monitor them that way, Most speed controllers have a Low voltage warning in them anyhwo where they will slow down the Motor ( if your using a motor)

I myself have one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18987__On_Board_Lipoly_Low_Voltage_Alarm_2s_4s_.html
you just plug it into the balance lead and it does some beeps much more simple
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Re: Dillema number 1: Turnigy Voltage Detector

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am

No 1/ If you shorted a wire as thin as the one connected to the "voltage detector" across the supply it would heat up like an electric fire because of the high current flow.
However in an application where there is a high resistance to the current flow ie the circuit and its components the current flow will be very low and the wire will be perfectly fine.
Its probably best to connect a sensor such as this to the esc wires at the connector end and use heat shrink to re-insulate the connection.
No 2/ As for your case carving, if you can open the module and temporarily move the electronics aside that would be helpful.
Probably the best but not the neatest way would be to use small wire cutters to nibble away the plastic,you could neaten it up with a knife or file afterwards, but it won't show anyway!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks