FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby GorillaBob » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 am

Bruce great work and thanks for the all you do! Please put me down for a kit also.
GorillaBob

Postby GTiDon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 am

Does it matter if you choose a PAL or NTSC Canera for these modules?
Please explain what combination is needed. The screen I use accepts both standards.
GTiDon

Postby drg964 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

If you are going to worry about PAL or NTSC then it all comes down to which part of the world you are in.

America is mostly NTSC whereas Europe, Australasia are PAL.

But as with your last comment this is not an issue for modern TVs' or for YouTube.
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby rsquared » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

I have a couple of these back packs under construction , the only issue so far has been getting the regulator chips . I have got some on order via ebay , I think 10 for about $6 but they must be comming via a slow boat from China . I did check element 14 and it was going to be over $30 for just two chips . anyone found a local NZ source for these at a reasonable price?
another question , the 22 uf chip capcitors , why ceramic? any reason , id of though tantalums or electro's would be just as good in a power supply

regard Rob
rsquared

Postby sloperdude » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am

Since you have some questions for Bruce, I also have some that have been on my mind.

A) How does the charge pump work?

B) Would you recommend any changes to the schematic or components listed for making a VRx out of the video receiver module?

C) Is it OK to run the video receiver module at 5V, or should that be 3.3V too?

D) If it should be run at 3.3V, will a 3.3V UBEC with the output wire wrapped around a torus magnet work OK?
sloperdude

Postby rsquared » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 am

I just waited in the end and got these regulators from China via Ebay . Another thing to note the transmitter modules form the sources Bruce mentions . SDS hobby ones I bought are the "E" band while the ones from Foxtech are the " A" band ones so be careful as to which ones you want to match your Receiver . Or better still do the band mod to your receiver as per RCgroups and get both bands covered . It's a bit of mucking around but you end up using the " spare " number 4 latching switch on your channel selector to change between band "a' and "e" maybe Bruce could do an informative video ? well after all the other "promised" videos Gunna Bruce reckons he going to do . On that note , Didn't Bruce say at the beginning of the year this was going to be his main gig ? seems about the same number or maybe even less than last years efforts as far as Youtube channel action . Maybe the saga of the SWMAC has dimmed his interest .
rsquared

Postby rotorz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:35 pm

rsquared wrote:I just waited in the end and got these regulators from China via Ebay . Another thing to note the transmitter modules form the sources Bruce mentions . SDS hobby ones I bought are the "E" band while the ones from Foxtech are the " A" band ones so be careful as to which ones you want to match your Receiver . Or better still do the band mod to your receiver as per RCgroups and get both bands covered . It's a bit of mucking around but you end up using the " spare " number 4 latching switch on your channel selector to change between band "a' and "e" maybe Bruce could do an informative video ? well after all the other "promised" videos Gunna Bruce reckons he going to do . On that note , Didn't Bruce say at the beginning of the year this was going to be his main gig ? seems about the same number or maybe even less than last years efforts as far as Youtube channel action . Maybe the saga of the SWMAC has dimmed his interest .

I'd definately be interested in seeing the page link to the 5.8g expanded frequency mod, if you could post it up that would be great.
I only usually go in to RC Groups to look at the DIY electronics pages, I don't remember seeing it in there though.
rotorz

Postby rsquared » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:09 pm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 75&page=21

and also mentioned in the Hobbyking forums

cheers Rob
rsquared

Postby cautious32 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 am

Hi Phil

Do I understand you correctly? You didn't produce a PCB but built the back pack on bread-board?

I don't have access to a laser printer and can't justify buying one just for the occasional PCB project.

If you don't mind, would you share your bread-board schematic or some photos of the placement of the components.

Thanks
John

Kampala69 wrote:There's no instant gratification on this project, except to buy the gear ready built - at a price - or to pull all the data together, get the bits off the web, sharpen up your soldering iron and build it on strip-board. It's not really that difficult, if I can do it anyone can. (Greying, 60yr old, fat fingered, hamfisted, over-weight, un-fit, short-tempered, Grandfather of 13!)

Phil
cautious32

Postby sloperdude » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 pm

rsquared wrote:
Didn't Bruce say at the beginning of the year this was going to be his main gig ? seems about the same number or maybe even less than last years efforts as far as Youtube channel action . Maybe the saga of the SWMAC has dimmed his interest .

Bruce went through a bunch of hassle when SWMAC was banned from the airfield. Reacting to it cost him a lot of time, money and effort that otherwise could have been spent on flying and reviews that involved flying.

It's very easy to complain or be negative, much harder to make a contribution, as Bruce has many, many times. He just flew once back at the airfield under his own insurance, so we'll see where he goes from here.

Bruce doesn't have a staff, he does everything himself, and also has to take care of his wife, who was in an auto accident. Why not thank Bruce for what he's done? I'm sure he'd appreciate it. What he does benefits us much more than what he earns by doing it.
sloperdude

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks