FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby Ted Browning » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I'll put my hand up, two kits for me please. Excellent video very clear instructions, you must be your own worst critic Bruce, well done.
Ted Browning

Postby jgupton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I'll sign up for two kits as well.

Thanks for the great work Bruce!
jgupton

Postby S-rob » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Guys.
If anyone has too much time on there hands & wants to etch there own board, heres a realy easy transfer method.
Print to Oracal 651 vinyl, then iron onto the PCB. (Sorry of this has allready been posted up)
http://www.electronics-lab.com/blog/?p=19912
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmJdCBj ... r_embedded

Some 'normal' waterproof Felt/marker pens are etch resistent, easy & cheap for touch ups before etching.
:idea:
S-rob

Postby X_Marine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 am

Kampala69 wrote:COCK-UP ALERT!!

Have just received my SecurityCamera2000 Sony 600TVL camera, and proceeded to wire it up to my own 1st version of the back-pack. I got no pictures!
Included with the camera was another small power/video lead, with the little white plug each end, so I cut that up to link to my board.
Beware.. each end is wired as a mirror image, so one end will have the positive and video connections the wrong way round. I used the wrong end!!
Luckily the camera wasn't damaged. Match the correct end of the small lead to the bigger BNC connector to decide which end to use.

Phil.
Hey, Thanks for the additional heads up on the video connection. Mine should be rolling in soon and I'll have trouble keeping my hans off of it. ')

Many thanks
X/BillyD..
X_Marine

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 am

Okay, thanks to all those who have put their hands up for a kit.

I'll order enough parts for 50 backpacks and let everyone who's interested know when those parts have turned up. I won't ask for any money until everything is packed up and ready to ship -- just in case something goes wrong and there's a hold up with one or more components or whatever.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby bcsaltchucker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Hey such a great product and/or DIY project Bruce! It's a real good idea and suprising that so few hard core FPVers don't use a quick release pod like this.

I recently made one for myself of my own design. OK it is not the smallest pod, but works fine on models maybe over a Kg. Weighs in at about 100g. I waterproofed the heck out of it since I live on the ocean and too many trees here to fly inland, mostly. conformal coated all the circuit boards, sealed it all in a waterproof housing (bottom of a Listerine bottle). it is 200mW 5.8, a board cam and HK super simple OSD. Has a JST pigtal to plug a 3S into, or run it off the main battery as I always do. Has a strap for a keychain cam or maybe run a Replay HD on top. I plan to make a 2nd pod like it with 1280MHz and a GPS OSD eventually.

part of it was melted in a big seaplane fire I had recently - but the pod is OK.
bcsaltchucker

Postby mikerowe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 am

Please put me down for 1 board and one component set.
mikerowe

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm

bcsaltchucker wrote:Hey such a great product and/or DIY project Bruce! It's a real good idea and suprising that so few hard core FPVers don't use a quick release pod like this.

I recently made one for myself of my own design. OK it is not the smallest pod, but works fine on models maybe over a Kg. Weighs in at about 100g. I waterproofed the heck out of it since I live on the ocean and too many trees here to fly inland, mostly. conformal coated all the circuit boards, sealed it all in a waterproof housing (bottom of a Listerine bottle). it is 200mW 5.8, a board cam and HK super simple OSD. Has a JST pigtal to plug a 3S into, or run it off the main battery as I always do. Has a strap for a keychain cam or maybe run a Replay HD on top. I plan to make a 2nd pod like it with 1280MHz and a GPS OSD eventually.

part of it was melted in a big seaplane fire I had recently - but the pod is OK.

Nice bit of lateral thinking, the Listerine bottle, tho the UV will probably kill it eventually and it will crack.
I can't tell if your vid module heat-sink is poking thru a hole or not... might fry if it's not getting any air as you've effectively made a hot house by sealing it so well. Maybe some white masking/plastic tape to reflect away some of 'ol Sole will allow it to last longer - just a thought.
Last edited by AltechMYOB on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AltechMYOB

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

@ Bruce... I'd like 2 bag 'o bits with the pro board please, if this is the official tally list.

tnx for all the R&D. :)

BTW... at the end of the "FPV Backpack PCB build (part 2)" video, you were talking about plugging into the balance lead for some juice & you said the builder needed a female balance plug. I think you mean a male (all the balance plug voltage checkers have male pins on them), but "where da ya get it"? I've looked & looked on Hobby King but it appears they only sell them soldered onto adapters... no pigtails that I could find either. They DO have something called "Balance plug savers", but that's about all I could find.
Do you remember where you got your supply?

Update: Found this on HK - "JST-XH 3S Wire Extension 20cm (10pcs/bag)" - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _bag_.html
Close enough, just cut 'n shunt. For $3.31 for 10, bargain! :D
AltechMYOB

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Nice find... I been looking for ages...

I got some of them 'saver', they are good...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks