FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby suxi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:50 pm

This is my final transmitter setup. As you can see, I dumped the PCB after all. I have heatshrinked a linear 3.3V regulator with capacitors and placed it between the 5V switching UBEC and the module. The camera is powered directly from the 3S flight lipo (it's not connected in the picture. You can see the little white connector just above the velcro as well as another video connector for a OSD). I have placed a heatshrinked capacitor between the camera and the module and I have soldered another capacitor between VCC and ground as well as the dip switch directly to the module.

For easy on and off soldering I have soldered and glued little pins to the module.

The image quality is great, it's very lightweight and I wonder what is the idea behind the tricky PCB? Am I doing something terribly wrong with this DIY setup?

Best wishes

suxi
suxi

Postby Jase1973 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

amtpdb1 wrote:Suxi:
Thanks- You would think the manufactures or retail sales would have it figured out by now!!
Don

After all that, i now dont know what band im on, im assuming e, but all i really know is i have a matching set...
Jase1973

Postby terma-nator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm

amtpdb1 wrote:Suxi:
Thanks- You would think the manufactures or retail sales would have it figured out by now!!
Don

I ordered 4 sets of modules from SDS Hobby.
My modules were shipped from sdshobby in the begining of may 2013.
If any of you have ordered yours around the same time, you might also have the same problems.
My receiver modules were all on "E" band.
My transmitter modules were all on the "A" band.

I needed to change all the transmitter modules to the "E" band, and now they all work correctly using Tims pc board and instructions.

Apparently there might have been a batch of transmitter modules that were sent set to the "A" band without being marked correctly.

There is no way to figure out what band your modules are on except for testing or opening the shielding. If your setup is not working, you might have the same problem as me. All I can say is set the transmitter to 111 and the receiver to 000 (this will give you a close enough frequency gap that should allow some receiption) and if there is any sign of a picture, you probably have a band "A" transmitter. It is not difficult to fix, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

Image Image
Last edited by terma-nator on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terma-nator

Postby amtpdb1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Jase1973:
As long as it works! Where did you buy your modules that you got a matching pair? I don't know if it would help but HobbyKing has a 3.3v ubec that works on up to 5 lipos. Could that be worked in and delete some items?
Have a nice day.
Don
amtpdb1

Postby suxi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:50 pm

but HobbyKing has a 3.3v ubec that works on up to 5 lipos.

Cool, please give it a try. That way you probably don't need to use the linear 3.3V voltage regulator which gets quite hot. In the description they promote it as low noise and stable voltage. For 2,80USD it's definately worth a try. As I wrote, I really start to believe that those modules are fine without those fancy buffering capacitors.

suxi
suxi

Postby Jase1973 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm

amtpdb1 wrote:Jase1973:
As long as it works! Where did you buy your modules that you got a matching pair? I don't know if it would help but HobbyKing has a 3.3v ubec that works on up to 5 lipos. Could that be worked in and delete some items?
Have a nice day.
Don

Lol, i already have a quantity (20) of 3.3 regulators that were cheaper to buy than 1 from my local component shop. But a 3.3 ubec would be more usefull..
I used a 5v ubec i had knocking around for my build, im happy that it works, but the build is messy as i was figuring things out as i went along. There again it works, so i probably shouldnt mess with it...
I got mine from sds, sometime in 2012 when brucie 1st showed off the prototype backpack.
The point was to try and limit the motor noise, which you wont see till you are in the air with it...
Jase1973

Postby Jase1973 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 am

just checked when I bought my modules, January. 2012....
I've only just got round to using them.
Jase1973

Postby suxi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 am

Finally ready for departure :-)

I really like the fact that camera, transmitter and antenna are all combined in one little backpack away from the rest.

suxi

Postby Jase1973 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm

looking good, be interesing to see how it flys.

I'm being held back as I have been wanting a set of fatshark base SD, but been out of stock forever...
Jase1973

Postby pam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi, I'm following Bruce's RCModel Reviews FPV Project and trying to make a couple of backpacks & receivers with :

600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD D-WDR Board Camera w/ OSD DNR (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600TVL-SONY-S ... 0542076742), &

5.8G 200mw Wireless AV Transmitter Module & 5.8G Video AV Receiver Set for FPV Sy (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251063961973?ss ... 1439.12649).

I noticed several people have succeeded on this forum & so I wondered if I could get a few details confirmed?

1) Are the circuit details (http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fpvbackpack02.shtml) correct & complete?
2) Does anyone have a link to, or details of a receiver circuit?
3) Has anyone tried a stereo version?
4) I am going to CNC a double sided circuit board. Anyone else tried this?

Thanks, Pam.
pam

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks