FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby VCR » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello Pam

That looks like the type of PCB im machining, that means it looks very good ;-). I don't know if the CamBam or the Gcode format is compatible but I would be happy to give it a try, I'm using EMC2 and PyCAM running on Linux. Usually I draw directly in a DXF file the tool path (Its a bit nuts but I got used to doing it this way) and then generate the Gcode. For this one I'm missing the correct dimensions, how did you get the dimensions?

This is a video of a test cut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxQHOQkJyg
What machine are you using?

Vasco Reis
VCR

Postby pam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Vasco, you’re using EMC2 & PyCAM on Linux? That looks interesting - I would like to move my CNC / circuit production entirely over to Linux. I’ll check this out sometime.

I guess there are various standards for gCode, it may still be possible that the code my system produces will run on your setup?

I had a problem with the Eagle files too. You can get the Eagle circuit files from http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fpvbackpack02.shtml. You can use the measure feature to read dimensions directly, (this circuit was modified by Tim).

My machine is a ‘Taig Micro Mill’, how about yours? I couldn’t view you video - it was listed as private, Pam.
pam

Postby VCR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Pam

Ill send you my email address by PM. If you which I can share my experience with EMC2 and PyCAM via email. I'm guessing that is of no interest for the rest of the forum members :-)

Ill give it a try and then Ill know for sure if the Gcode is compatible, and thanks about the tip ill see if I can download the files.

If you are using an Taig Mcro Mill you must be in the USA :-) I'm using a Proxxon MF70. I have changed the status of the video so you can see it.

Vasco Reis
VCR

Postby geoman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:27 pm

timjc wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think there would be much of a market. You can order the same 5.8 system from Hobby King for $58. There is little value in building these yourself, unless you want a diversity system, and need additional receivers. Designing and building these was part of the fun for me.

has anyone been able to compare the ready made hk system with the kit, i would assume they both have the same main modules, but what about the rest.
i would not mind putting the kit together as long as there was some advantage..
also any update on the kits to be put together, i did not notice anything on this thread, or at the bottom of the youtube clip
thanks
geoman

Postby seand006 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:01 am

I have tried making the pcb board but I'm all over the place when it comes to drilling the holes...Am I able to get two commercial boards please...pretty please. I have all the other parts and I'm ready to roll.
seand006

Postby suxi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my best working setup so far: Pure modules with soldered antennas. I get 600-700 Meters distance at 100 Meters altitude. What distances do you achieve?

Best wishes

suxi

PS: What advantages might a module on pcb with caps etc. bring? It can't be transmitter/receiver power, can it?

suxi

Postby suxi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 pm

http://youtu.be/VnAz1f-baoo

This is a recording from my new $28 VCR with the above setup without any PCBs, SMA connectors, caps etc. I re-built the receiver antenna with thinner (0,8mm wire) and got close to 800m distance in 150m altitude. The analog video quality through the goggles is much better then the 640x480 vcr picture. You can see slight distortions which get less with reduced engine speed during decent. My original pcb setup with caps didn't improve this a great deal. The biggest improvements in terms of video quality and distance I achieved by improving my antenna building skills and soldering them as close as possible to the modules. I even bought some commercial clover leaf antennas from Amazon, just to find out that those have been built even worse with thick 1,4mm wire hidden within a fancy enclosing.

So my final humble opinion: It might be worth considering to spend more time experimenting with and improving your Clover Leaf and Skew Planar Wheel Antenna builds on bare modules (powered by 5,5V and 3,3V UBECs) BEFORE creating fancy PCBs with maybe unnecessary electronic components ;-)

Happy Flying

suxi
suxi

Postby J.Richert » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Guys:
Excuse my stupidity, but I have been searching all over for the build on the matching receiver. I see in the main picture on the website, the backpack Tx and what looks like the Rx in the foreground, but I am missing the build for the Rx.
Any help appreciated!!
Hans
J.Richert

Postby terma-nator » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm

J.Richert wrote:Hi Guys:
Excuse my stupidity, but I have been searching all over for the build on the matching receiver. I see in the main picture on the website, the backpack Tx and what looks like the Rx in the foreground, but I am missing the build for the Rx.
Any help appreciated!!
Hans

If you read this thread, you should find what you're looking for.
terma-nator

Re: valid pcb file

Postby geoman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:44 pm

i have tried using tims files for the pcb but they don't work on oshpark, giving 'not a valid eagleboard file' message.
the guys there were able to send me a zip that i sent back and worked, anyone know how to get the remaining vrx file.
its a shame oshpark dont have a search for projects they already have done.
also have ordered most of the parts, and as a few came in 10's, i am willing to pass on at cost if you need anything( i'm in sydney)
geoman

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks