FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:24 am

Just waiting for a day with enough natural light to allow me to see what I'm doing in the workshop.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Still not enough natural light?

I am anxiously waiting your JR XP7202 hack to see if I did something wrong.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:50 am

BobAZ wrote:Still not enough natural light?

Yep, dead right!

It's been a *nasty* weed weather-wise with not much hope for improvement for at least a few days.
RCModelReviews

Postby jazzboy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, we do need Meister Bruce to check out the FrSky DIY. After this post and the "recall", I too am a bit jittery (pun intended). My Corona works very well and hopefully this system will too.

Cheers
jazzboy

Postby BobAZ » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
BobAZ wrote:Still not enough natural light?

Yep, dead right!

It's been a *nasty* weed weather-wise with not much hope for improvement for at least a few days.

Where in New Zealand do you live?
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I live in the upper-central North Island. We've had some wild weather -- although we missed out on the huge snowfalls and earthquakes of the more southern regions.
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 pm

If you have already made the modifications to the XP7202, could you send me some pictures? My email is "rtstrong@cox.net".

Did you use the DIY module or the JR module and remove the RF?

Did you apply the "diode mod"?

Thanks.
BobAZ

Postby BobAZ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:13 am

I am still interested in what you do with your XP7202, but here is what I did last night and today.

I received a JR module in the mail yesterday. After opening it up, I discovered that it would not be so easy to remove it from the case - seems to be "glued in". So I decided to mount it on the outside of the XP7202 – see photo. Obviously, this is not a permanent way to install the FrSky module. I just wanted to get out and see if in fact it worked - therefore telling me that my DIY module had a problem.

I had removed the DIY module, but cut the wires so that I still had the diode on the PPM wire. I then soldered some more wire to each of the three wires (PPM, +, and -) with pins on each end. I then routed the wires out the hole that I had used to get to the bind button with the DIY previously. I then inserted each of these pins into the appropriate receptacle of the module. I used a space and some velcro to attach the module to the back of the transmitter.

I went out today and flew my Slow Stick - the one that had previously had some uncommanded elevator inputs after installing the diode and crashed. After fixing the bent fuselage as best as I could, I bound the new RF to that receiver and went out to fly. I did a range check with the reduces RF output and got 64 paces (yards) and felt good about that – that was much more than what I had with the DIY module after installing the diode. It flew fine and I got much more altitude and distance away than ever before.

Therefore, my conclusion is that I had a bad DIY module. I am hoping that FrSky will replace it with a new DIY module that works. That way I can have a cleaner and permanent installation inside my XP702.

Please let me know all that you find out about your XP7202 and hopefully you will share some pictures of your installation.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
JR XP7202 - JR Module.jpg
JR XP7202 - JR Module.jpg (219.51 KiB) Viewed 17461 times
BobAZ

Postby BobAZ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:51 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I live in the upper-central North Island. We've had some wild weather -- although we missed out on the huge snowfalls and earthquakes of the more southern regions.

I sent you a PM.
BobAZ

Postby pwy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 am

@BobAZ
I have today removed a FrSky JR module from the case. (Had to put it into a different case as the original one did not fit the old JR Apex transmitter.)

You are right, the circuit board is glued in and additionally it is a very tight fit. But the glue is only on two sides, gluing the board to the case and no glue on the underside. Tried with a knife blade down the side first but what worked in the end was to slightly bend the case with my fingers to the outside and "breaking" the glue.
If you are not worried about the case you can just use force and break the case but if you are a little gentler you will be able to get it out without damage to the case or module.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks