FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

Postby BobAZ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Do you use the DIY Module or the JR Module with the RF removed?

Are you using a separate BEC from the ESC?

I am anxious to see the results that RCModelReviews comes up with. FrSky is saying that the DIY Module needs a Schottsky diode as a fix.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:21 am

I'll be looking closely at the DIY kit but I suspect that a simple series resistor will do the job every bit as good as the Schottky diode and at a lower cost.

EDIT: mea culpa, ignore the above, the use of a pull-up resistor in the circuitry makes a diode a better option.

I just wish the damn weather would improve around here -- it's the dark-gloomy-wet phase of our winter which means I can hardly see my hand in front of my face at the workshop (which has only one pissy little light in it).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 am

Are you going to be using a Shottky diode on the DIY module? I have found a source for the BAT85 for $.07, so that is pretty cheap. I want the best solution since I have already lost an airplane the first time I flew with the FrSky. And the second time – after getting new HV receiver – I got several hits before landing. I want to know that I have a "rock solid" system before I go up again. If necessary, I will buy the JR Module and use the RF out of it – IF it is different than the DIY module. BUT I am getting the impression that all modules – JR, Futaba, and DIY – need the Shottky modification.

Do you know if the JR module is any different than the DIY? I have asked Chase Wu at FrSky, but they never responded.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:09 am

Bob, I'll be testing with a 1N914/1N4148 diode first -- that ought to be more than adequate and is likely to be more readily available in many places but if people already have or can get their hands on a Schottky diode then that's all the better.

I have a JR 7202 to DIY this week so I'll do all my testing with that and make a video as well as a webpage for the site.

I doubt the JR module is any different but the signal level from the JR transmitter is supposedly relatively high impedance (ie: already as a good-sized resistor in series) and only delivers less than 5V of signal in the first place.

As for the Turnigy 9X, I'll be checking that but since it has a low-voltage logic board, I doubt it will be an issue either.
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Have you got any further updates to the FrSky DIY module with the diode added?

What about any further information about the FrSky 8-channel receiver that is compatible with the Futaba FASST system?

Thanks.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 am

I was hoping to do the video and take pictures for the DIY article today but it's pitch black outside (big storm clouds) so the light in my workshop is just too dim. As soon as we get some sunlight...
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:55 pm

Well I did the Schottky diode modification to my JR XP7202 with the FrSky DIY module. Took my Slow Stick out and had very crazy flying. It finally nosed in and bent the aluminum fuselage. I have not had good luck with the FrSky – lost my Trojan with the first setup before the diode mod.

I think that I am going to give up on the FrSky mod to my JR XP7202 and go back to the DM9 RF back in it with AR7000 receivers. I NEVER had any problem with that configuration.

I THOUGHT that I was getting a "better" system with the FrSky since it has frequency hopping, but so far all I have had is problems.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 am

That sounds very odd Bob. I'm going to be doing a 7202 here very shortly -- I'll let you know how I get on and post some pictures of the exact installation so you can compare it with yours.
RCModelReviews

Postby BobAZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:27 pm

The following URL shows how I modified my XP7202 using the Spektrum DM9 module. I did the same using the FrSky DIY module, show you can see pictures of what I have done.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159219

Don't know if this helps you understand or not.
BobAZ

Postby BobAZ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Any update on the installation in the XP7202?

If it worked, I would sure like to see pictures to see if I did something wrong.
BobAZ

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks