Corona 2.4 DIY

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Corona 2.4 DIY

Postby jazzboy » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 am

I have one of the Corona 2.4 DIY kits. Is there an advantage in removing the shrink wrap on the RF module for additional cooling or is this a bad idea?

Cheers
jazzboy

Re: Corona 2.4 DIY

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 05, 2010 3:26 am

It shouldn't make a lot of difference and if you remove the plastic you may run the risk of shorting out other bits in your transmitter if the board comes loose.

It's a shame that Corona use a linear regulator in their modules and DIY kit because it does mean that they can get quite warm, especially if you have a 3S lipo in your transmitter.

An option you can use if you want to reduce the heat produced by the module is to add an external (to the DIY module) regulator that drops the main transmitter voltage down to just 7V or so. That'll let the DIY module run cooler if you're worried about heat - but it's a lot of extra work really.

I haven't seen the FrSky DIY module yet but I know that their transmitter modules use a switching regulator that not only keeps them real cool but means you get *much* longer operation out of a single charge.

If folks are interested I'll do a comparison between the various DIY modules to look at the pro's and con's of each.

It might be worth starting up a forum where people can upload information about their own DIY conversions so that others can benefit from not having to reinvent the wheel. What do y'all think?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jazzboy » Wed May 05, 2010 5:34 am

A DIY comparison would be an excellent thing! Not everyone is into transmitters that look like Transformers and making our own is a very good way to avoid holding something that looks like a boom box on crack :D This DIY resurgence has sparked a a lot of folks to re-stuff old Proline, Kraft and World Engines boxes with new guts like Gordon Anderson's amazing Microstar system ( http://mstar2k.com/ ). Personally, I'm rolling my own stick and case ( http://andysrecroomrc.blogspot.com/ ).
Good clean fun.

Cheers from Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
jazzboy

Postby Ampair » Wed May 05, 2010 8:03 am

I did a module upgrade with a Frsky into an Optic 6. That was super simple, including relocating the antenna into the original antenna spot in the Optic 6 case so I got a Frsky hack module and put into (of all things) an Esky 72 MHz tx, the hardest bit of that was sawing off the ornamental lump where the original antenna exited. Now I am thinking seriously about a 2S Lipo injection for the Optic 6, but that low batt warning is a bit of a snag for this tired old brain. Ah well, soon.
Ampair

Postby kneedrag » Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 pm

I fitted the FrSky to my DX7 with minimal issues. From what I saw the DX7's board ran hotter than the FrSky. However I also happened to short out the Spektrum board.. <walks the walk of shame it was a stupid mistake and I should have put a little bit of insulation between a switch and board but I thought hey there is enough clearance, I was wrong.>

I have one DIY module in stock which I could detour your way if you want Bruce. But basically they have taken the JR or Futaba module put an extension cable on for the bind button and antenna and heat shrinked it.
kneedrag

Postby derek4610 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:38 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:It's a shame that Corona use a linear regulator in their modules and DIY kit because it does mean that they can get quite warm, especially if you have a 3S lipo in your transmitter.

All of my Corona TX modules, Futaba type and DIY type have a chopper regulator. This is a switching regulator with a soft start. The power source I'm using are 3s batteries, the TX modules operate at a very low temp.
Data sheet:
http://sharp-world.com/products/device/ ... z41h_e.pdf

Derek4610.

It shouldn't make a lot of difference and if you remove the plastic you may run the risk of shorting out other bits in your transmitter if the board comes loose.

It's a shame that Corona use a linear regulator in their modules and DIY kit because it does mean that they can get quite warm, especially if you have a 3S lipo in your transmitter.

An option you can use if you want to reduce the heat produced by the module is to add an external (to the DIY module) regulator that drops the main transmitter voltage down to just 7V or so. That'll let the DIY module run cooler if you're worried about heat - but it's a lot of extra work really.

I haven't seen the FrSky DIY module yet but I know that their transmitter modules use a switching regulator that not only keeps them real cool but means you get *much* longer operation out of a single charge.

If folks are interested I'll do a comparison between the various DIY modules to look at the pro's and con's of each.

It might be worth starting up a forum where people can upload information about their own DIY conversions so that others can benefit from not having to reinvent the wheel. What do y'all think?
derek4610

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:35 am

Has there been any other problems with this DIY kit? Mine doesnt want to work.
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 am

Define "doesn't want to work"
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:55 am

I am having it done professionally. I will inquire further but I think it isnt binding. He suspects the module and is looking into it. :(
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 am

It's also worth remembering that with the Corona gear you have to turn the receiver on before the transmitter in normal use - otherwise it won't link up.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks