Corona 2.4 DIY

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: Corona 2.4 DIY

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:07 am

I gave up on HK ever "receiving" my returned part and ordered another kit. :evil:
I have the radio, and the receiver from the first kit. This is getting expensive.
jeffie8696

Postby Bart Doets » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:39 am

RCModelReviews wrote:It's also worth remembering that with the Corona gear you have to turn the receiver on before the transmitter in normal use - otherwise it won't link up.

The manual of my Corona DIY SSST set says:
"5- After setup, give power to the transmitter firstly and it will transfer signal about 5 seconds later, power up the receiver to check that red light is steady if all servos are under control that means it is ready to fly"
I know that on the back of the blister packs in which the seperated receivers are sold, powering on the receiver first is indicated.
With my set, it works both ways anyway.

Bart Doets
Holland
Bart Doets

Postby jazzboy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm

I believe I did the transmitter first for binding but normally the receiver goes on first.

Cheers,
Andy
jazzboy

Postby pm-peixoto » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 am

Hello Bruce,

You said that with Corona gear I need to turn on the receiver first and then the transmitter to link up. If I do that with my helicopter, gyro doesn´t lock (I need to turn on the transmitter first and after the receiver). Any suggestion?

Regards.

Paulo
pm-peixoto

Postby Bart Doets » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:19 am

As I stated above, I have a manual that says, for binding first power on the RX, but once set up, powewr on the TX firstly.
But, I have seen a manual (printed on the blister package of a seperate Corona receiver) that said, power the RX firstly...

Bart
Bart Doets

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:56 am

Is the red light on the receiver supposed to come on when you first power it up? Mine doesnt come on when I power it even when I press the bind button.
My transmitter should be done soon.
jeffie8696

Postby coronarc.nz » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:02 am

I posted up a youtube video on how to bind and then use a Corona 2.4 receiver - is worth watching...
http://www.youtube.com/user/cambridgeki ... 6hObkAlo6M
To reword the original info, to BIND, Turn the transmitter on first WHILE PRESSING the transmitter module button, then release the button (the LED flashes red - green intermittantly)
Next, Power up the receiver while pressing it's bind button (transmitter should still be in the red- green flashing mode)
The LED inside the receiver case should flash 2x - Binding done when you see this.
Turn off Both
TO USE THE SYSTEM
Receiver must be turned on First, followed by the transmitter.
I know this causes a nuisance for some ancillary equipment such as some speed controllers and boat winches etc and I have been told that there is a device that can be plugged in-line to fool these units, but I am afraid I don't know what or where that electronic device comes from - I can make some enquiries with my source if you are interested. I have similar issues when it comes to programming my electronic speed controllers, so in these cases I swap out my 2.4 system and re-plug on my old 36Mhz module - currently it's the only way I know of that works for certain. In normal use, the speed controllers turn on and go into standby mode beeping until they receive signal from the receiver - takes less than 10 seconds normally and works every time.
coronarc.nz

Postby jeffie8696 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Thank You , I will check out the vid.
jeffie8696

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Bruce I am sure you have a much better understanding than me, I have been told that the DIY module has no input voltage protection for the PPM line? And there have been some suggested fixes such as diodes. My friend that is installing my module thinks it may have been what destroyed my first kit. :(
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Yes, the last Corona DIY kit I had lacked input protection -- a diode in the signal line is a *good* idea.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks