9x thus based software hack

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

9x thus based software hack

Postby erezra » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi all,

I've started my own hack based on thus' code. More or less geared towards my own needs but I am looking for suggestions.

Here's my second revision that adds throttle trim and trim increments.
Throttle trim - Trim effective only on low throttle.
Trim Increments - Exponential, ExFine (1 step out of 127), Fine (2 steps), Medium (4) and Coarse (8).

If anyone's interested I'll post the revisions regularly here.
I'll appreciate any feedback/request you might have

Attachments
th9x.zip
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Re: 9x thus based software hack

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm working hard to get a "9X area" set up on the website where I'll keep a comprehensive compendium of articles and links related to the product.

Just need more time -- and sleep (uh-oh, they're mutually exclusive) :-(
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby erezra » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:58 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm working hard to get a "9X area" set up on the website where I'll keep a comprehensive compendium of articles and links related to the product.

That would be excellent!
I just flew my float-plane with the 9x and I'm super happy with it. The custom software works like a charm.

RCModelReviews wrote:Just need more time -- and sleep (uh-oh, they're mutually exclusive) :-(

:D I remember that thing called "sleep"... It was quite nice when I had the time :lol:
erezra

Postby mpthompson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm getting ready to start working with Thus' firmware on my new 9x. I'm pretty experienced with working with Atmel MCUs so it should be fun to actually get into the guts of the software that runs the transmitter. Is there a good watering hole where people working with the firmware both as users and making modifications hang out? I have a hard time dealing with the RCGroups threads that are 100's of pages long where I can't find anything.
mpthompson

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm hoping that this will become that watering-hole. I'm nearly finished getting the 9X area sorted and I'll set up a dedicated forum for it here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby mpthompson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:05 am

Sounds great. I look forward to participating.

BTW, I started an opensource/openhardware project called the OpenServo (http://www.openservo.com) a few years ago. The purpose was to convert cheap servos into digital servos with features tailored for hobbyist level robotics. Digital servos geared towards robotics typically cost $100 and up. The prospect of converting a $10 servo into something that in some ways was better than the very expensive models was pretty appealing -- being completely open to hack the firmware being the best feature. I got involved with a robotics start-up that consumed all my time so another fellow picked up to continue with the OpenServo, but I learned a lot about AVR MCUs such as the ATmega168 creating the first few versions.

Much of the work I did with robotics servos could be applied to RC servos, but the 5g to 9g servos I use in my foamies are so small that things get very hard to work with at a hobbyist level at that scale. Besides, other than failsafe, I'm not certain what features might be added.

Now that I'm into RC flying I would love to put some of that experience into new projects geared towards RC flight. The Turnigy 9X looks to be an excellent platform to base some projects on. I'll keep my eyes open for ideas to pursue.
mpthompson

Postby erezra » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 am

That's great!

Thus for meanwhile has gone AWAL.
I've opened a new project based on his FW. Look it over on: http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

I'd sure appreciate your input whether it's here or on the code page!
erezra

Postby mpthompson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm

I've just modified my 9x to flash the firmware and tested it to make sure things are working. I'll definitely be looking more into the code over the coming days and weeks.

BTW, what happened to Thus? Is he no longer developing his original version of the firmware? Seems there are a number of projects based upon his work.
mpthompson

Postby erezra » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 am

I don't really know. I tried to contact him by email but he didn't respond.
The frameworks he created is really great. I think the radio reached the point where it is genuinely usable.
erezra

Postby soopy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi erezra. I've been following your posts over on RCG and have just today finally gotten your firmware flashed onto my 9x after a number of issues with my programmer. I'm intending to have a good play with it over the next few days hopefully but I'd just like to say thanks for your effort picking up where Thus left off.

Second, I think it's good that you've posted here as well, the more exposure your firmware gets and the more testers you have should mean that all of the bugs get ironed out sooner. I must admit though, most of the aircraft I fly are parkflyers so I'm not going to be able to help debugging the advanced features you're now adding.

My only other comment is that it would be nice to get some documentation up on your Google code page. Some installation instructions would be good for those new to your firmware who haven't been following Thus' development. Also, I found some minor errors in the Thus documentation so it would be good to get all this cleaned up. I realise this all takes time though and I'm sure your priorities are with developing the code as opposed to writing full documentation. Bottom line - keep up the good work!
soopy

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks