EX- II & EX - 5 Pistol Radio to 2.4 GHZ

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

EX- II & EX - 5 Pistol Radio to 2.4 GHZ

Postby slow_jun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 am

HI All,

Im new here, just yesterday i just found out that theres this option to hack your Old AM tx and turn it to a 2.4 Ghz , i know its old news but for me it is a sign that i can still use this ancient tx that once served me well,so when i went home i snap a picture and also did some research on what pin is the PPM Signal coming from the IC Oki L9362 on both Tx, for this type it was Pin 9.

I Have posted it on another forum ( RCTECH, please see link below), as i know i still have to earn the rights to post pics here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-elect ... ost8695895

So my concerns are, for the EX- II PCB , the RF module is snag fit on one board, to upgrade this one, do i just need to use Pin 9 ( PPM Signap) then get a + and -
source and im ok?

for EX - 5, i see that the RF module is in another daughter board, can i just remove this one and snug fit the hack and im off?
and lastly, which is better, i will be using these on surface models, ( 2 Channels) which DIY kit is better, Frsky or Corona?

Updete: just did some reading and seems that Frsky is far more better from the 2 ( Assan, Corona) in terms of singal and perforamance,
is this true?

Sorry for all of the question but im stuck weather to convert or just buy those cheap china tx.

Thanks in advance.
slow_jun

Re: EX- II & EX - 5 Pistol Radio to 2.4 GHZ

Postby dannyzz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am

hi there
i have done a frsky conversion in a old futaba 2ch controller it had a oki l9362 encoder in it from my experience it the servo's would twitch alot.
When i tried it in a futaba 3pj it worked fine and yes frsky is better than corona also there have been cases with the HK2's and those other cheap controllers on DSSS that have interfered with spektrum controllers.
dannyzz

Postby slow_jun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 am

Hi dannyzz ,

thanks for your reply, ive been searching here and there for feedback and reviews and so far no one has tested it with the said chip. :(
i have ordered my frsky DIY and awaiting arrival. I will post my feedback and comments on the Kit once i have it. would it be possible to post some pics on how you did your conversion?

thanks again in advance.

Jun.
slow_jun

Postby dannyzz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 am

those i.c's are quiet sensitive to heat in my case. btw what controller is it
dannyzz

Postby slow_jun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:44 am

KO EX-II n EX -5 am tx.
slow_jun

Postby snoopy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I have not been able to get it the V8HT to bind with the V8R4. The Tx module will power up and will blink when powering up with the bind button held down, but the receiver will not respond according to the description on the directions . Which are not very clear, I might add.
snoopy

Postby slow_jun » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am

slow_jun

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks