What do Aussies call moonshine?

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Re: What do Aussies call moonshine?

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

I have been a home brewer for years. The misconception that distilling whiskey is difficult is interesting. You make beer without the hopps then boil the alky out of it, waflippinla, whiskey. Biggest problem was people using old radiators to condense the steam. Gave people lead poisoning, and the guvmunt played it up since they "deserve" the tax money from ANY alcohol sales.
New Zelander hopps are excellent, I have used them.
jeffie8696

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 pm

We gave birth to the stuff right here in Kentucky. In fact....the County I live in is Bourbon County. Most of the brew is made in Eastern Kentucky. We're permitted to run-off 5 gallons for personal use. If you're caught selling any of it....the police can prosecute you for bootlegging. They will also confiscate your still.
If you ever visit us here in Kentucky and happen to smell a strange smell while wandering around.....turn around immediately and pretend you didn't see....hear.....or smell ANYTHING..... Your life may depend on it.
Years ago there was a lot of liquid corn shipped to the North in some of the fastest cars you ever saw. When the law later allowed the legal sale of alcoholic drinks....these fast cars had nothing to do.....so they raced against each other......and from all that activity....NASCAR was born. See the movie Thunder Road. Never thought I'd be telling you guys about just one of the things our State of Kentucky is known for. We also have some beautiful women and the fastest horses. We also have a fine basketball team at the University of Kentucky. Be careful where you get your moonshine....you want to be sure the person that made it uses a still that has NO lead solder joints....and that the alcohol is pure ethanol. It should burn clean when you ignite a spoon full of it. This is where the word "proof" came from. Above 50%...and it will burn. This is 100 Proof !

Stay sober....that way you won't be cutting your fingers off with your prop or exacto knife !!!

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Ampair » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 am

Staying sober, that's an interesting concept. Has anyone ever tried it?
Ampair

Postby ergocentric » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Flash1940 wrote:We're permitted to run-off 5 gallons for personal use.

Five Gallons! (almost 19 litres) way too much if you are drinking it, not enough if you are running it in glow engines.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Juanlargo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:46 pm

disco stu wrote:So they advertise Forsters overseas do they??

FWIW we don't drink Fosters here either, I don't know how they stay in business. Everyone down under says Fosters is Rat lotion and I believe it.

By the way, does shoe polish really come from Kiwis?? :lol:
Juanlargo

Postby rogueqd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 am

We don't make moonshine in Australia. A few people brew their own beer (legal) and I've heard of people making wine (I think legal), but I've never heard of anyone ever that made their own spirits.

Fosters? I think it was popular back in the 70's. Some bars still stock it for the tourists, lol. Beer in Australia depends what state you are from. Victorians drink Carlton, NSW has Toohey's New or VB (Victoria Bitter, go figure) and I think the Queenslanders drink XXXX (four ex) but I'm happy to be corrected on that.
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:23 am

Although it doesn't seem as common as in the US, people do home distil spirits in Oz, especially the Italians, making grappa. I've had some myself and it was great....dangerous, but great. :lol:

The Greeks and middle European Aussies also make their own varieties of fire waters.

I've also had Irish poitín (potcheen) distilled here, as well as home made Scotch style whisky. The whisky was terrible btw.

Oh and as for beer, we Tasmanians drink Cascade, especially Pale Ale, in the south of the island. Northerners mostly drink Boags. NOBODY drinks Fosters here. I don't think the local bottle shop even sells it.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby disco stu » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:15 am

I've had home distilled bourbon, scotch etc. We used to make sambucca, the shop sold this stuff you mixed up with water and sugar, and for black sambucca you would boil black jelly beans in the water as well
disco stu

Postby Juanlargo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:37 pm

rogueqd wrote:We don't make moonshine in Australia. A few people brew their own beer (legal) and I've heard of people making wine (I think legal), but I've never heard of anyone ever that made their own spirits.

Fosters? I think it was popular back in the 70's. Some bars still stock it for the tourists, lol. Beer in Australia depends what state you are from. Victorians drink Carlton, NSW has Toohey's New or VB (Victoria Bitter, go figure) and I think the Queenslanders drink XXXX (four ex) but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

VB is one of the best tasting beers I ever had. I wish we could get it here.
Juanlargo

Postby disco stu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:54 am

Bogans beer :D
disco stu

PreviousNext

Return to Non-RC