Autogyro Cierva C-30

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

Autogyro Cierva C-30

Postby MojoMaestro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:55 am

We see reviews on planes, gliders, EDF's, Helis & multirotors but never seen one on an RC Autogyro.
i have been practicing with the Cierva C-30 on Phoenix RC SIm, modifying the model from gas to electric &
giving it the size of the one they have @ HobbyKing. i have found that using a more powerfull virtual motor
gives the model more maneuverability & control but i wander if it's the same in real life.

P.S. it is a good thing that U mentioned this forums on Youtube, cuz i've looking at the infos on this site for years but
never got into the forum, i'm bad i know but know but i feel better now.

Thank You dear Professor Bruce.
VERUS AMICUS EST TANQUAM ALTER IDEM

Heli : Xieda 9958/Falcon 400 3D (Edge body)/EXI 450 ZL pro/EXI 500 CF/T-Rex 600 ESP (Airwolf body).
Plane : AXN Floater Jet (mod)/Cessna 182 (mod)/Mini-Saturn 3D/Mini-Cuckoo (4 times)/DIY Sky Riders Spartan EDF
MojoMaestro

Re: Autogyro Cierva C-30

Postby quarry44 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 pm

There used to be quite a following of gyros at one stage,but it seems to have died down a bit.
I have flown Boddington's Gyrace ,which is not a true autogyro,in that it has a small wing carrying two rotors at both tips.It's good fun,with almost vertical landing possible in a breeze.
Autogyros are reputed to be stall-proof,but I found this not to be true of the Gyrace.Certainly,you needed to be careful when close to the ground.
Flying wise,they can fly very slowly,but tend to wallow quite a bit.If you do a loop,the rotors will stop spinning at the top of the loop.Quite unnerving :)
I would like to try a "proper" gyro,like the Cierva some time.You can go simple,or make the head tilt in all directions like a chopper.You could in fact adapt a helicopter swash plate,etc.But in my view,if you go that far,you might as well build a whole helicopter!
quarry44

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Yes, there seem to be two kinds of gyros...

Gyrocopters (which have no wings but do have a tail).

Gyroplanes (which have stubby wings to augment the rotor lift and aid stability)

I'd love to see someone do a small scale model of an Eagle, RAF or Dominator autogyro -- a contemporary design.

I was thinking of getting some 450 heli parts and making one myself -- with cyclic pitch for better control.

One of the reasons we don't see (m)any contemporary scale autogyro models is that there are real issues with getting the full-sized teetering head to work reliably (or at all) on a model. Maybe some gyros would also help here.

When I get time (wish I had a dollar for every time I said that) I'll have a go at designing and building a proper RC autogyro
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby MojoMaestro » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Actually this was a reply to ur Youtube video Professor Bruce, the one where U ask
for some ideas of models to review. The Cierva C-30 is a big teaser for me.
VERUS AMICUS EST TANQUAM ALTER IDEM

Heli : Xieda 9958/Falcon 400 3D (Edge body)/EXI 450 ZL pro/EXI 500 CF/T-Rex 600 ESP (Airwolf body).
Plane : AXN Floater Jet (mod)/Cessna 182 (mod)/Mini-Saturn 3D/Mini-Cuckoo (4 times)/DIY Sky Riders Spartan EDF
MojoMaestro

Return to Suggest a review