Bixler !!!

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

Bixler !!!

Postby S-rob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 pm

The review we all want (or at least me ) is the Bixler
and a side by side comparison to the AXN.

Just which one is the better plane??
S-rob

Re: Bixler !!!

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 am

I can tell you right now that "better" depends on what you're looking for in a model.

The AXN is a more versatile and mature model than the Bixler.

It is a whole *lot* tougher, has more appropriate hardware and (IMHO) is far better designed from a constructional perspective than the Bixler.

The Bixler however, is larger so (in theory) will carry a better payload -- but then they go handicap it by throwing a fist-full of dead-weight in the nose (duh!).

You can vertically dive a stock-standard AXN from any altitude and pull full up elevator at the bottom without worrying about the airframe breaking. You simply can not do that with a stock-standard Bixler -- it will break-up.

The Bixler can (allegedly) be made to fly as well as an AXN but that requires some significant upgrades in terms of hardware and additional strengthening -- plus a stronger motor.

I haven't built a Bixler but I've seen one at our field and I have to say that I was far from impressed when compared to the AXN.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby pldb64 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:48 am

Here is a side by side comparison (for what it's worth). (Not by me!!!!) :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WYSfJQZk1o

My personal preference remains the AXN, however if FPV is something you're considering, then various websites have ready made pan & tilt assemblies that will drop into the bixler and the extra space in the fusealage makes it easier to accomodate this. I've yet to find anyone making assemblies for pan/tilt for an AXN.

Given Bruce's imminent release of the FPV backpack details, i still see myself sticking with the AXN though.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby dannyzz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:26 am

I my opinion the Bixler is pretty good for FPV and learning to fly but in saying that it is the only plane I have ever flown. The whole plane weighs about 850g in total and that is with a 3000mah battery and autopilot and my longest flight has been 40min and that was sitting at around half throttle. I'm guessing I could put a 3500mah in it. As for the structural problems I have never had it break up in the air because i replaced the plastic ? spar with a carbon fibre rod. The only issue i have is when the wind is over 20kph it will really struggle to go against the wind.
dannyzz

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:12 am

Most of my FPV flights with the AXN are about 15-20 minutes and that leaves me about 50% of my capacity remaining (1100mAH or about 900mAH of *useful* battery. So I figure that I could probably do about 35 minutes before I encountered problems -- but that's not trying at all hard to conserve power.

In fact, I worked it out that if I used the barest minimum of power I could get about 90 minutes of flight-time out of my AXN with a 3S 2200mAH battery in it.

And yes, the *big* advantage of the AXN is that it can go fast when you want it to -- even with an FPV backpack velcro'd on top.

We have FPV'd the AXNs in 20-knot winds with no problems at all.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Suggest a review