UBEC or external BEC review and comparison

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

UBEC or external BEC review and comparison

Postby mkaz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 pm

UBEC or external BEC modules are usually used to allow cooler operation of an ESC by not using it's internal BEC or in non-electric models allowing LiPo usage for receiver and servos.
I reviewed spec's for many different products and found that spec's seem to be unreliable and prices differ without regard to features or apparent capabilities.
The market offering is confusing.
I'd love to see 'real' benchmarks and comparisons, the way currently only rcmodelreviews does it.
mkaz

Re: UBEC or external BEC review and comparison

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes, I've started collecting a selection of UBECs with a view to doing a comparison and comprehensive review.

Stay tuned!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:10 am

I reviewed one for ya. :cry:
jeffie8696

Postby JBC » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:31 pm

I can see this was posted a while back but would love to see a comparison as well. I use separate BECs in almost all my models, cheap insurance IMO ;)
Helping the glue industry, one crash at a time.....
JBC

Postby Oops » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, would love to see a review on these UBECs.

Also, can someone explain how to connect one of these. Its a cheap Turnigy SBEC 5Amp max (but I have used an ESC with a 2A so should be ok?). There is a power in > connect to the lipo. Then a servo type plug out to the receiver. But I have no spare channels! If I understand well the throttle (channel 3) from the ESC needs to have the signal wire pulled and put in the free space (signal) of the servo plug of the new BEC (-, +, S)? The - and + of the ESC are not used?

Thanks
Oops

Postby rogueqd » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 am

Oops wrote:I understand well the throttle (channel 3) from the ESC needs to have the signal wire pulled and put in the free space (signal) of the servo plug of the new BEC (-, +, S)? The - and + of the ESC are not used?
Correct. Often the receiver has a "battery" port you can plug the BEC in to, but the way you describe would work fine.
rogueqd

Postby Oops » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for that. I have FrSky and have not found a battery port. Unless I open it up and make a special connection.
Oops

Return to Suggest a review