Remzibi's OSD FPV Screen Setup - Love it!!!

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Remzibi's OSD FPV Screen Setup - Love it!!!

Postby bmsweb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Sid it gets a GPS fix really quickly and when I say quick, I'm talking seconds. The first part of the video I pretty much powered it, hit the reset and launched. But the Altitude was way out. We landed Reset again and it was fine. I think if you powered on and gave it a minute the altitude problem you saw me have in the first flight wouldn't have been an issue. The direction arrow works PERFECTLY and so easy to work out where you are.

What I find is I keep an eye on Ground speed, Direction home, Altitude. I don't really look at the Rate of Climb, heading etc
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

Why Ground Speed? I would have thought that would just confuse your air speed estimates?
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 am

rogueqd wrote:Why Ground Speed? I would have thought that would just confuse your air speed estimates?

Ground speed is all you have, from the GPS. You'd need a pitot tube and sensor for airspeed.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 am

rogueqd wrote:Why Ground Speed? I would have thought that would just confuse your air speed estimates?

Using GPS you can only monitor the aircraft's speed and as such you have no idea of airspeed at all. Having said that I knew into the wind I was getting around 30klm per hour and 60 with the wind but it's an indication that you are not going to stall. You can't hear the motor because its too far away and from the visual speed you are getting on the screen you can't judge if the model is about to stall. Obviously once you start to stall, flight surfaces don't work anymore so the model doesn't respond, then the pilot (me) panics. When climbing etc you can monitor your ground speed to determine that you are not slowing down and about to stall.

I actually find I use it more when landing, having said that I'm pretty sure an experienced FPV pilot would be able to judge purely based on the visual on the screen. I liken this to a New RC pilot who gets confused as to which way the model is facing etc.

Well that's my logic and the model is still in one piece and no mishaps. Once I get a few more hours of FPV under my belt I'll be able to provide more info on what I think works.
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:49 am

Good points, I didn't think of using ground speed to judge wind direction.
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 am

rogueqd wrote:Good points, I didn't think of using ground speed to judge wind direction.

It was more the issue of stalling. I found sometimes on landing I would pull the nose up too high and have no idea I was dropping airspeed and Thomas would yell out "get the nose down dad you're about to stall". I would also sometime pull elevator too early in the turn and it would nose up and I would lose airspeed . . I'm reading this and I'm sounding more and more like a crap pilot :oops:
bmsweb

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

I think the next step for FPV will be sitting in an ejector seat... You loose control, you loose your guts...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Previous

Return to FPV