Another Noobie

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Another Noobie

Postby WildWill » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:37 am

Alright, back to teasing. This was taken 3 miles off the coast.

WildWill

Postby WildWill » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 am

WildWill

Postby WildWill » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:16 am

We are getting ready to have the Washington Summer FPV meet at La Push WA. We'll be getting together on the 13-14-15th of July.

I need to think of some contests that would be good. I am thinking about releasing helium balloons that are slightly weighted and having the guys try to pop them, the limbo would also be good, may also have motor boat chasing if the weather is right for it.
WildWill

Postby WildWill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Crashed hard today and totaled the skywalker. Won't be able to put this one back together. Will need new platform.
WildWill

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 pm

WildWill wrote:Crashed hard today and totaled the skywalker. Won't be able to put this one back together. Will need new platform.

:o :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Really sorry to hear that WW, Puget Sound is a really impressive place going to miss your vids.
Hope you are back up for your FPV meet.

Regards
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby WildWill » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 am

No worries! I recovered all the parts and will have something back up in the air in a week or so. I won't miss the meet, even if I have to cobble something together out of pink foam from the hardware store. :D

Glad you like the vids :)
WildWill

Postby WildWill » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Well, I figured an update was in order.

So, I got to the meet and was getting setup with the new camera the sony 600tvl. I have the skywalker all glued and taped and we all got a good chuckle. The video just wouldn't come in right though as much as we tried. In a last ditch effort I switched the vtx over to the Immersion 5.8 system that I had in reserve. Video was now great..... As it turns out, and I had thought it was going to be the case, the 1W 1280 Lawmate vTx had fried while sitting on that roof after the crash.

I was also having a problem getting the ReplayXD camera to fire up. As it turns out, that too is dead. I guess it couldn't take the shock of a 100mph crash...

I put road flares in the field at night and stuck a flashlight in the holder where the Replay normally goes. Had a great flight and was able to use the flares (led flares.....safety USA) to make a successful night landing. It was shaping up to be a great weekend.

The next morning I got back in the air and was extending my range with the 5.8 a bit, got out to ~3000ft, video was clear! Was having a blast and buzzing the camp and lowflying down the beach when all the sudden my video went black...I was so low to the beach and tried pulling up but my speed was also low. Stalled and nosed in... Plane was in a million pieces..

The other guys at the meet came to the rescue with boxes of parts and glue guns and soldering irons etc...!! What a great bunch of guys!!

I was able to get the plane back into one blob and was actually able to get it in the air once more. It was flying like hell and video was just about toast. I attempted a LOS landing which I never do. I much prefer to land via the goggles. Well, depth perception got the best of me and I hit a damn tree...haha, sometimes I just can't win. :lol:

Upon getting home I have removed everything from the skywalker and tossed what was left in the garbage. It's done. :cry: Ah, but there is light! I have just ordered two new skywalker V.6s and a new 1900mm wing to go with them. I am on the fence as to whether or not to order a new Replay or if I should go with the GoPro2? Also going to get a bunch of new batteries, going with some new lower wattage vTxs and new more sensitive receivers. This time I am going to try getting enough gear so that if I do crash, which I am sure will happen at some point, I will have gear to keep me going while I wait for replacements.

We had several other great flights from the other guys there at the meet. One guy had like five different planes and quads then he had mastered. It was a blast watching him fly all over the place. We have some other fast planes by IBcrazy, the Specters, and several gliders. We even had a glider get stuck in the powerpole...lol

The event was held at an RV park but I didn't realize that the RV park is owned by native Americans and is located on their reservation. They were VERY nice and even thanked us for having the meet there. The security came around at night and hung out for a bit watching the show. heck, even the cops were helpful. Such a great bunch of guys! For them they saw the whole thing as a free show. :)

We are already planning the next meet! Now for some pictures. :P

WildWill

Postby cynr100 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:17 pm

There you go again........................making us all jealous :lol: :lol:

Love your work :D

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby drg964 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 am

Were there any sparks at all when it hit? :shock: :lol:

Good to know a light epo plane won't take out the grid...

ps. I am loving your FPV clips WildWill, certainly an inspiration :ugeek:
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby WildWill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:21 pm

I felt so bad for the poor guy when it went in there. I saw a cop car driving by and chased him down. He said that there was a crew installed that pole but they were gone for the day. The local Indians said it was not yet powered up. You can see the lines all coiled up coming from the conduit on the side of the pole. We used a fiberglass pole that one of the guys had the foresight to bring. There's a shot of it in the forth picture down but it's somewhat hard to see. So, meh, so sparks this time, but we will try again soon! :D
WildWill

PreviousNext

Return to FPV