Another Noobie

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Another Noobie

Postby WildWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:05 am

Hey there guys, I have been lurking around here for a few days. A friend of mine told me about the FPV flying a couple months ago and I got started down the path. I had never flown RC planes. I purchased the hobbyzone super cub and have been flying it for a couple months now. Still in one piece! :D While doing that I have been working on getting together a list to buy for an FPV plane.

I am also in the process of getting my Ham license, will be taking the test on the 28th of this month. I'd like to stay above board for all of this. And my Dad, who lives near by, would like to yack with me on the 2m.

So, I started a list and still have some blanks. I was hoping that you guys might take a look at the list and give me some tips. I'm sure I have some stuff messed up there. :oops:
Edit: The list below now represents my current setup to the best of my knowledge. I would however go with a different setup if I were to purchase today as things have changed.
This is the list for review. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... li=1#gid=0

Thanks for any consideration.

It's a long thread, wanna know where I'm at now? Check out my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wildwill19 ... rid&view=0

Bill
Last edited by WildWill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
WildWill

Re: Another Noobie

Postby chrisjunkie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:41 am

9X remote is the perfect choice. Make sure you budget in about $30USD to make it so that you can re-program with the er9x software. Much better and much more flexible.

As for the Video TX/RX, the HobbyKing 5.8ghz 200mw kit is what you want. Least amount of interferance with your 2.4ghz gear and can still do up to 1km+.

If I were you, battery wise I'd get maybe a 2200mah Turnigy nanotech for the plane and maybe an 850mah nano-tech for the FPV equipment.

In terms of the Dragon link stuff, it's not something you need from the get-go. Only once you have upgraded your FPV video link etc should you think about getting longer range RC gear. Just my 2c.

Hope some of my feedback helps you into the amazing fun that is FPV flight. Did my first FPV take-offs and landings yesterday. What awesome fun!
chrisjunkie

Postby WildWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 am

Thanks you so much for your reply. I am going to go look into the 5.8ghz setup

Ah OK, that is the setup that RCmodelreviews was talking about and I can make the clover leaf antennas for those, and might consider using a patch antenna at some point with the antenna tracker. I think I have that right.
WildWill

Postby WildWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:42 am

Hey Chris, any reason to not go with a larger battery? And If I can go larger, should I get one battery, two batteries, or one huge battery?
WildWill

Postby rogueqd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:15 am

Consider a Skywalker instead of the EPP FPV. Many people love the Skywalker while I've only read average reviews of the EPP FPV.

Also, don't think about antenna trackers and things until you have flown a simple setup at least a few times. Things seem easy to add to a shopping list, but when you launch the plane it all becomes very different.

Decide how far you're likely to want to fly. 1km is quite a long range if you want to fly around some local landmarks, and you can get to 1km quite cheaply. But if you want to get past 2km then you'll need an expensive setup and some things, like an OSD with autopilot and RTH, are better to be bought quickly rather than wasting money on a cheaper OSD that you'll want to upgrade in a couple of months.

I'd suggest flying without an OSD for your first few flights then buying an expensive one like Eagle Tree's once you've got your plane sorted out. Either that or get something like Remzibi's OSD straight up and be happy to stay within 1km or so.

Oh, and lastly, recheck your plane accessories, the servos should be HXT900 or equiv and the motor looks odd to me.
rogueqd

Postby WildWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks Rouge, I was thinking about switching the plane over to the Skywalker, I will do that now. should I switch over to the HXT900 servos for that as well?

I am looking to fly within the 3-5 kilometer range. I'd like to get one setup, do short flights and add on to the system with the parts that I buy on the first go around. In the end I find it's cheaper to buy the best once vs. stepping up to the best over many steps. In that case I end up with a box of worthless junk, and the stuff that I should have gotten in the first place as well.

That being said, I will be running tons of test flights and setting up the system on a test board and in the plane and range testing etc... I'd like to try and mitigate my losses as best I can.

Would you say the Eagle Tree is a better setup over all vs. the EZosd?
WildWill

Postby rogueqd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

Yeah, use HXT900 (or equivalent) servos in the Skywalker.

Do your test flights within line of sight, about 300m, and have a spotter who is watching your plane so he can tell you if you're about to fly behind some trees, or where it went if something unexpected goes wrong.

For 3-5 km's you'll need good gear, and your right about buying best the first time vs buying twice. Eagle Tree vs EzOSD is partly personal preference, except that Eagle Tree have the Guardian module, which can fly your plane home if your radio fails. There are others like Dragon Labs, Nova OSD and more with the RTH function, but I don't think EzOSD has it. Make sure you get RTH. The rest is really personal preference. Check out YouTube videos of each OSD and see which one appeals to you.

I'm using Remzibi OSD, although that was a buy cheap buy twice decision as it doesn't have RTH so now I'm looking at buying a new one. Eagle Tree is my current personal favorite, but I haven't got it yet.
rogueqd

Postby WildWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Thank you so much guys, I think I have the list just about ready to pull the trigger. If I have something messed up there it can't be all that bad at this point. The only thing I'll like to add that I can think of at the moment is landing gear. I'll be poking around looking for something if anyone knows of something good lemme know.
WildWill

Postby WildWill » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Just an update to things, I have ordered everything needed I believe. I changed a couple things on the list and will update it as soon as the stuff starts coming in. I will also add anything that I forgot as I realize it.
WildWill

Postby RodYoung » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am

WildWill wrote:Just an update to things, I have ordered everything needed I believe. I changed a couple things on the list and will update it as soon as the stuff starts coming in. I will also add anything that I forgot as I realize it.

Looking forward to reading your list. Is it possible to turn a video camera on yourself as it all comes in and you put it together. The rollsroyce of FPV in mono "buy once and save thrice" seems to be what we will see you setting up. BB
RodYoung

Next

Return to FPV