My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

Postby cynr100 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:34 am

Cheaper than a Go-Pro mate but not by much.

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/1306889 ... eItemTypes
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby pldb64 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 am

Using my 808 #16, (costing $35), i can't see why i'd ever think about using a go-pro or comparable camera? Extra bulk, huge extra comparative cost without a corresponding increase in quality! (IMHO).

I understand that the #16 is being modified/updated to allow an AV out as well as the existing recording capability. That to me would almost be the perfect FPV camera - able to record the flight AND provide FPV vision.

If that doesn't become available anytime soon, then i'd opt for the FPV camera that Bruce is advocating (CCD 600TVL) with the #16 providing on-board flight recording.

If i've missed something important as to functionality in a go-pro (or similar) that people would say "you can't live without that" ... i'm all ears!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby cynr100 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 am

Value for money I think you're right on the ball pldb64 8-) , that is where I'll be heading. Once Bruce gets his unit into a state we can all copy/buy/build I'm sure someone will devise a neat little box for it all to sit in and then we can blow rasberries at the Go-Pro'ers :lol:

However, never get in front of a man who wants to spend his money :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby WildWill » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 am

It all depends on what you want. I like the GP2 footage a bit better then the RPXD1080, that being said though, the footage on the RPXD1080 is stellar. Now when it comes to mounting on a plane, the replay takes a huge advantage. It weighs a lot less for one, comes with built in protection, and had much better aerodynamics. For FPV I'd say the replay far exceeds in performance to the gopro. Just my observations.
WildWill

Postby pldb64 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:53 am

Not much chop for those wanting a "pan and tilt" capability though presumably?

I've seen mounts for P&T for GoPro but the RPXD1080 doesn't look like it would be capable of P&T at all given the dimensions?
pldb64

Postby WildWill » Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Ah you make a good point. You could pan and tilt the replay for sure but you can't view through the replay whereas you can through the gopro. I only have my viewing cam set to pan/tilt, no tilt on mine though. The replay is stationary.
WildWill

Postby Hallmark » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi All,

I bought a BEC (Dualsky Volt Regulator 3A 5 or 6 volt selectable).

I have no idea how to fit it or what to connect it to at the power input end. I realise the male plug goes to the Rx, but where do I plug the female end into? My best guess is that I need to connect the female wires to the ESC wires where the battery plugs in, does this sound correct?

Why do I always have difficulty understanding female components??? :roll:

All help appreciated...

HMk
Attachments
BEC.jpg
Here is a photo.
BEC.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 17009 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:17 pm

My best guess is that I need to connect the female wires to the ESC wires where the battery plugs in, does this sound correct?

Yes
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Yes

Thanks Bill (love the new avatar too...) 8-)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby pldb64 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:30 am

Castle creations website has a good picture of how to wire up an ESC with an independent BEC. I recall something about having to disconnect one of the leads for it to work properly.
pldb64

PreviousNext

Return to FPV