Everyone please look at this

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Everyone please look at this

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I'd like everyone to please visit this page:

http://nzmaa.org.nz/videos

and watch the fourth video from the top of this page.

Pay particular notice to:

1. the distance figure shown on the OSD

2. the altitude figure shown on the OSD

3. the proximity of a large wind turbine.

Now note what site this is featured on -- it is the NZ national model flying administration's website, seemingly being used as an example of how the hobby can be enjoyed and with the endorsement of the national modelflying administration MFNZ.

Note that in NZ, the following regulations/laws apply:

1. an RC model must not be flown above 400 feet (120m)
2. an FPV model must not be flown beyond visual range (the model is an AXN - work it out)
3. those flying FPV must have someone on a buddy box ready to take control of the model at all times

The reasons that I'd like as many people as possible to watch this video and note where it is being promoted will become apparent in the near future. Post the link to the videos page on that site to other forums and discussion groups so that as many people as possible can view this situation. We may have a bunfight on our hands and I would like it noted that clearly NZ's national modelflying organisation has no problems with videos depicting blatant law and regulation-violating videos being posted on the internet -- indeed, on their very own website -- which they control. This is not just an area where anyone can simply upload a video -- it is controlled and operated by MFNZ. They chose to post the video, they must be endorsing this activity.

And yes, they were advised that the video depicted law/regulation-breaking activities several weeks ago and acknowledged such -- so they can not claim ignorance.

Please tell your friends, families, other RC fliers (especially those with an interest in FPV) and anyone who might be interested to watch this video and make note of the clear violations of "the rules" and "the law".
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Everyone please look at this

Postby quarry44 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 pm

This is exactly the sort of thing that annoys me about the nzmaa.
Don't do as i do,do as i say!
If someone were to come up with an alternative association offering insurance,I'd be first in line.
This video points out one of the basic problems with the NZMAA,it's full of little empire builders who like to lord it over others,and look the other way when it suits them.Makes me sick.
quarry44

Postby WildWill » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 am

Just curious here Bruce, are you trying to discourage them from posting this? I don't understand the end game.
WildWill

Postby francoishaha » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:55 am

quarry44 wrote:This is exactly the sort of thing that annoys me about the nzmaa.
Don't do as i do,do as i say!
If someone were to come up with an alternative association offering insurance,I'd be first in line.
This video points out one of the basic problems with the NZMAA,it's full of little empire builders who like to lord it over others,and look the other way when it suits them.Makes me sick.

thumbs up :)
francoishaha

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:39 am

WildWill wrote:Just curious here Bruce, are you trying to discourage them from posting this? I don't understand the end game.

No, I'm trying to demonstrate the level of hypocrisy that is in place here.

They're coming down on the SWMAC and the xjet channel because they say it "damages the image of the hobby" by portraying flying that is reckless and breaks the rules or law.

Pot, kettle, black -- make a sentence using these words.

The reality is that we have an untarnished safety record (unlike many other NZ clubs) and the MFNZ administration don't quite seem to understand that this is the internet -- and, just like television, what you see is not always the reality of the situation.

They seem to very much have a "do as we say, not as we do" attitude to this matter.
RCModelReviews

Postby WildWill » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 am

Ah, I gotcha. I was just confused there as I'm unrelated to the AMA or the NZMAA. I'm so new to everything and don't have a membership anywhere so it's all a steep learning curve.

Sorry to hear that they are coming down on you guys. I often take down videos on my youtube channel to avoid people reporting me to whomever. EDIT: Not to suggest that you should ever take down anything.

I do like the idea of another organization.
WildWill

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 am

I'd also be "all for" starting another organization but I know it's an incredible undertaking and, given my present circumstances, I doubt I'd have the time or resources to do it.

However, you'll be pleased to know that the 400th video on the XJet channel will be a special "safety" video.

Safety warning: Don't drink any coffee while you watch it :-)

Coming up soon!

Poor Ron, we had to expel him from the field -- he laughed three times. If we're to fly under the MFNZ affiliation, laughter (an indicator of "fun") will not be tolerated -- apparently it's a safety thing, so they tell us.
RCModelReviews

Postby jbcoop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:12 am

I just watched that video. If those are the windmills around Makara, Wellington then the AXN was flying above the altitude that planes can fly when making their way along the West coast and ABOVE the altitude that I have (legally) flown in that area when making a visual approach to the airport. Also, the entire flightpath shown in that video is inside Wellington Airports control zone (0 to 2500ft amsl). That is, it is controlled airspace. I don't have any charts here to refer to since I am at home, but I don't think there are any VFR transit lanes within Wellingtons Airport airspace that the AXN may have been in, and even if there were the rules are that model planes cannot fly above 400ft above ground.
jbcoop

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 am

And, as soon as you fly an RC model out of visual range, it becomes a UAS which can't be flown (as I understand it) without the issuance of a NOTAM and special permissions being granted by CAA)
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:55 am

You mentioned in another post that NZMAA is trying to shutdown SWMAC, where can we go to make a lot of noise so this does not happen.
The jet guys that also use the field, are they part of SWMAC or do they run their own show and are they under the same cloud.
Is your field privately owned or is it local council property either way they should realise that Tokaroa is definitely on the world map because of SWMAC,RCMR and Xjet. Nothing is better than free advertising.
I had a swim around the web site you mentioned and nothing in there interested me apart from the lunatics doing high speed control line (if SWMAC is dangerous how are this lot not locked up :shock:) I also gazed over the "toffs at the top", never heard of anyone of them let alone where they are located. I know exactly where SWMAC is located and it will be the first port of call when I get a NZ holiday and that won't be as a result of NZMAA.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Next

Return to FPV