Some FPV Beginner Questions

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Some FPV Beginner Questions

Postby Woketman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 am

Hello everyone. I am a 39 year RC veteran that has flown it all. I currently fly electrics but I have been a turbine guy for the past 12 years (not a lot of time lately to fly jets). I have a quad copter now.

I am becoming interested in FPV. Was hoping some of you may answer some of the following. I am currently planning on going with the FPV BackPack. I will likely build three, using the boards sold here, for me and a buddy.

Is the Sony 600TVL SuperHAD camera still the general best cam to use? I see that the YouTube review was over 6 months ago and thought perhaps there is something better. The BackPack looks like it is the TX only. What is everyone using to recieve the signal? Is there and HD FPV gear out there? I sure would like a 720P signal, if feasible.

Thanks guys!
Woketman

Re: Some FPV Beginner Questions

Postby A10FLYR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 am

And we meet again....
Dean,
A10FLYR

Postby Woketman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 am

Hey Dean, how have you been? What you doing hanging around here? You got that monster A-10 rigged for FPV???? HA!
Woketman

Postby Turbo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

dito to the above , Fpv seems to be moving quickly . I too would like to benefit from the box of cameras that someone has in the cupboard in preference of the one that was up to the task .

its a bit of a shame we get 1080p tv in NZ only to go backwards on fpv again, i assume its a power and speed /money issue that has stopped fpv going to 1080 ? I am keen to get into FPV also but im going for 3D , i can watch youtube videos of better flyers than me and better scenery in 2D all i want on most occasions . I am hoping to build a quality and realistic fpv setup . Wish me luck , but even better let us know what the current preferred set-up is . ill keep reading in the mean time trying to wade through it all ... :geek:
Turbo

Postby A10FLYR » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 am

Woketman wrote:Hey Dean, how have you been? What you doing hanging around here? You got that monster A-10 rigged for FPV???? HA!

Nope but tried to slope it a few years back but didn't have enough wind. After Florida Jeta era I was doing some FPV with a small monitor. Used it for putting the Kadet Seniour "on site" but recording with an onboard video camera looking straight down for gravesites for geneology buffs.

Now I'm just an old sloper nut..

Have you tried RCG for FPV? My buddy Ian gets out to 6 miles, can go farther but doesn't want/need to.

Catch Ya later...
Dean,
A10FLYR

Postby Hallmark » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Woketman wrote:Hello everyone. I am a 39 year RC veteran that has flown it all. I currently fly electrics but I have been a turbine guy for the past 12 years (not a lot of time lately to fly jets). I have a quad copter now.

I am becoming interested in FPV. Was hoping some of you may answer some of the following. I am currently planning on going with the FPV BackPack. I will likely build three, using the boards sold here, for me and a buddy.

Is the Sony 600TVL SuperHAD camera still the general best cam to use? I see that the YouTube review was over 6 months ago and thought perhaps there is something better. The BackPack looks like it is the TX only. What is everyone using to recieve the signal? Is there and HD FPV gear out there? I sure would like a 720P signal, if feasible.

Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

First of all I hope you enjoy your excursion into FPV, it is a wonderful and energising experience. There are some Laws depending on where you live so please take heed and look into the legalities as well as the fun.

The 600TVL camera is brilliant and you are right in asking this question given the age of the reviews. However, the camera described has many features that other high resolution units won't match so I suggest you use this one as I have it and it works great in all the footage I've seen. HD cameras are pointless for FPV feeds though. There is a substantial delay in receiving the signal due to the way data is processed and unfortunately nothing on the current market will allow HD viewing unless you're going for a HD TV which enters many more problems for you. The best idea is to get a HD camera such as the GoPro or Relay1080i. I also doubt the backpack will transmit a digital signal with anymore quality than the 600TVL and at less than $60 delivered, it is a more economical option.

I believe the Tx Bruce uses is compatible with the HobbyKing Rx units that are about $25.00 a piece. Also look into CP and SP antennas as they are the best for park and up to a mile or so at the start.

There are many folks here with vast amounts of experience in this field and if you search you will find most areas/States have FPV groups and forums to meet and greet as well as ask the so-called silly questions.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress. I hope to see you out there... :)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to FPV