Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

Postby Velociraptor73 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Hello Bruce,
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but as a newbee I was wondering what is the difference between a 900MHz system with 200mW and 1500mW ? Will the 1500mW have a longer range? Consume more battery? Increase the interference with other electronics? What is the best application for each? And how does it compare to a 5.8GHz system? I guess would be really helpful for beginners like me a quick guide about the different FPV systems and best uses.
And congrats about your patient reviews and precise test work! I find you reviews and articles always to be the clearest and most in depth found in the internet. It quickly became my best source for information, for what I just made a donation before joining the forum as a registered user. Keep on rocking the RC world! You make it a lot more fun and user-friendly guiding user in the right path.
Velociraptor73

Postby Velociraptor73 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Ohh, one more thing!

As it is quickly growing worldwide and been used in all kinds of RC models like planes, helis, cars, etc., I think the FPV topic should be moved directly into the "General Discussion" Board Index instead of been a sub-theme in RC model Aircraft thread.
FPV seems to be the future and in a few years time it will probably be the standard way most RC models will be controlled.

So I think it deserves a topic of its' own. ;)
Velociraptor73

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am

Yes, I'll have to tidy up the forums topics and restructure it a bit -- right now it's a bit of a dog's breakfast I'm afraid.

As for the difference that a 7.5-times power increase will produce... well surprisingly little in terms of range.

It should roughly triple the range -- all else being equal.

However, if my experience with the 200mW 900MHz system from HobbyKing is anything to go by, it may well reduce the range of the RC gear by a significant margin.

Already the 200mW system has knocked my useful range back from well over 2.2Kms to 1.3Kms so I shudder to think what 7.5 times the power will do.

Right now I'm working on a tuned notch-filter to significantly reduce the levels of spurious emissions from these transmitters on 2.4GHz. I should be able to test that in the coming week or two. It's really easy to make and if it works then it'll be a "must have" for anyone using the HK 900MHz systems.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Asad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Maidened my Skywalker this past weekend. A very stable plane. Maiden video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmzWA7ZXYY

Link to my build log: Skywalker EPO (v2) build log

Bruce, do you plan to do any FPV on the Skywalker?
Asad

Previous

Return to FPV