Bird (Magpie) vs Kinetics 800 Glider!

If you've seen a cool RC video on YouTube and you think it's worth sharing with the rest of us, post the link and a brief description here so we can all have a look.

Bird (Magpie) vs Kinetics 800 Glider!

Postby bmsweb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Magpie Vs Kinetics 800 RC Model:
My friend and I convinced my son that the Magpie would leave his glider alone and Thomas (my son) Reluctantly flew his model only to have it attacked constantly by one Magpie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoJ_295OutM
bmsweb

Re: Bird (Magpie) vs Kinetics 800 Glider!

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 pm

At least you gave the maggie a good work out. Love the music btw. :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 am

Sid, surprisingly he was one very fit Magpie. He was also having a go at my friends Mini P-51D! here is the second video :lol:

BTW: My son gave up on flying there as he found the Magpie was stressing him out too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZJgssGbi4
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 am

Just watched the second video, you're right, that's one fit magpie! I showed the first video to Mrs Sid btw, who had a good laugh. :lol:
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:17 am

For some strange reason, we don't have any problems with magpies at our field.

In fact... if they're flying around when a model takes off, they'll quickly land -- even if it means they have to walk to where they were going.

Perhaps the reason for that is because we consider it great sport to chase the magpies with our models.

Next time we do some "bird-herding" I'll try to get it on video. It's great fun... you drive them down one end of the runway then you drive them back up the other until they're so exhausted they just land and run away.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Perhaps the reason for that is because we consider it great sport to chase the magpies with our models.

Love it :lol:

I have a feeling you guys live in RC Paradise! Well from your videos lately it seems to me the RC Gods are looking after you guys with fantastic winter weather!

Interestingly the Magpie was pestering me for some time but my model was too fast and I enjoyed his company in the air. What I was really blown away by was the fact that he didn't seem to get tired at all. Four flights in total and he was there most of the time . . fit bugger. It was doubly funny because my poor son was freaking out, I've never seen him so stressed when flying :lol: Mind you the magpie seemed smart enough not to get anywhere near the Tri Copter :lol:
bmsweb

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:11 am

Great Videos there Paul, yes the Maggies can be quite territorial at times, and even more so in Spring breeding time, Thomas did a great job when he was flying the Kinetic 800,
keep up the great work, and stress less, Happy Flying!
Jolly-Swagman

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 am

Jolly-Swagman wrote:Great Videos there Paul, yes the Maggies can be quite territorial at times, and even more so in Spring breeding time, Thomas did a great job when he was flying the Kinetic 800,

Thanks Man :)

They must have a large Territory! We had Thomas flying out more than one footy field away yet it was bloody relentless! The Kinetics is the first model Thomas learned to fly on so he really didn't want to damage it. He gets so attached to things :lol:
bmsweb

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:32 pm

bmsweb wrote:
Jolly-Swagman wrote:Great Videos there Paul, yes the Maggies can be quite territorial at times, and even more so in Spring breeding time, Thomas did a great job when he was flying the Kinetic 800,

Thanks Man :)

They must have a large Territory! We had Thomas flying out more than one footy field away yet it was bloody relentless! The Kinetics is the first model Thomas learned to fly on so he really didn't want to damage it. He gets so attached to things :lol:

Yes Magpies have quite a large territory, from a minimum 2.5-3ha to up to 25ha
Jolly-Swagman

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

OK that explains it! Looks like FPV would have been required to fly outside his territory :lol:
bmsweb

Next

Return to YouTube RC videos worth watching