AXN Spear - Fast and Furious meets Foam Fun

If you've seen a cool RC video on YouTube and you think it's worth sharing with the rest of us, post the link and a brief description here so we can all have a look.

AXN Spear - Fast and Furious meets Foam Fun

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 am

Okay, so I'm flying around the place on a dead calm day and a small tree jumps right in front of my AXN's wing - SNAP! I lost a 1/3 of it there and then.

So what to do? Well I've had a few bingles and every time I have gone home and more or less sulked for a few days until I get the courage to go and try again. I call this prangaphobia.

This time was different, I just walked home, got out the scalpel and tape, measured, cut and returned to the scene. There were a few false starts as I perfected the launch technique, but with dogged determination I got it up! (Did that read bad for you too?) Anyway here is the proof that with 2/3 of your wing span gone you can still fly. Just a little harder and a lot faster :lol:

I hope you enjoy...

http://youtu.be/wwGGeocZrBE
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: AXN Spear - Fast and Furious meets Foam Fun

Postby Porksboy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Note to self: bring ruler and scalpel to flying field with me.
Looks like tons of fun! Way to persevere. Back when flying full scale in the third world we called that field expedient engineering.
Porksboy

Postby Flash1940 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm thinking you may have a "target fixation" problem with your flying skills. Target fixation is actually a motorcycle rider's problem where he rides down the road and becomes involved in an emergency avoidance....fixates on the approaching vehicle and runs right into it!.....where he should have looked at where he needed the bike to go to avoid the collision. Next time you fly your model....concentrate on where in the field you would like to fly your model rather than responding to little bumps & jumps the model does due to changing wind. Don't allow it to get too far out.....stay in your pattern. No pattern......Establish one and stick to it.....don't get fancy....stay conservative and focused.....at least until you've had more stick time.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Hallmark » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 am

Flash1940 wrote:I'm thinking you may have a "target fixation" problem with your flying skills. Target fixation is actually a motorcycle rider's problem where he rides down the road and becomes involved in an emergency avoidance....fixates on the approaching vehicle and runs right into it!.....where he should have looked at where he needed the bike to go to avoid the collision. Next time you fly your model....concentrate on where in the field you would like to fly your model rather than responding to little bumps & jumps the model does due to changing wind. Don't allow it to get too far out.....stay in your pattern. No pattern......Establish one and stick to it.....don't get fancy....stay conservative and focused.....at least until you've had more stick time.

Flash

Thanks Flash, I've been riding motorcycles for more than 30 years and I am familliar with such consepts, but believe this, nothing other than target fixation would have kept this bird flying "that" day. However, I take your point and great advice thank you...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to YouTube RC videos worth watching