Transmitter choice: Head asploding.

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Transmitter choice: Head asploding.

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 pm

kaptain_zero wrote:There are two kits, one with the toggle, the other one has two slide switches... I can only find the latter for sale at any of the usual haunts. I'm having mixed feelings about an external toggle switch, handy, but..... too easy to accidentally activate whilst in the air perhaps?!?!?

As I understand it (but have yet to confirm) the switch position is only read when you first turn the radio on so even if you switch it while flying, it won't change the mode from 1-way to 2-way or v/v until you power-cycle the transmitter.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'd opt for the telemetry DIY kit rather than the module since this will be much neater when done. I've already done a video showing how to install the non-telemetry version in the 9X and I'll be doing another to show how the telemetry version can be installed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F17205%5F%5FFrSky%5FDHT%5F8ch%5FDIY%5FTelemetry%5FCompatible%5FTransmitter%5FModule.html

Is this the telemetry kit you are referring to, Bruce?
Hal9000

Postby pldb64 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 am

Yes - thats the unit you'd need for 2way/Telemetry. That's what i've installed on mine - requires 3 holes to be drilled in the case and 3 wires to be soldered onto the main board. - At least 2 youTube video's showing what needs to be done. It was my first DIY project in RC and was damn easy! :-)

If you're buying FrSky stuff - i'd recommend looking at Aloft Hobbies over HK. He's in the US, but ships very quickly - way quicker than HK. 8 days from order to delivery for me, including a public holiday. Pricing is comparable too - and wayne's gear is the latest/greatest from FrSKy as well (for example he's carrying the current sensors which i'm yet to see on HK).

http://www.alofthobbies.com/diy-telemetry-module.html
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby chesilfan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I have not done any r/c flying for some years, but with the lousy climate in UK am doing more indoor flying. I am having a go at indoor r/c.
I understand the basics of Spectrum radio, but my question is this. Some small ready to fly models come with a transmitter. These appear to be set up with 3 channels and the transmitter supplied has a specified channel. Others have the option of buying a transmitter or using one purchased seperately.
The question is, canI buy a 2.4 Spetrum transmitter, for example DX5E to use with these models, which appear to have a preset band.
chesilfan

Postby AshleyB32 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 am

i recently went from a Hitec Flash 5 to the 9x with the Frsky after seeing Bruces and its going relay well nice and smooth and good range no dropouts, My first experience on the weekend with a DX6i was'nt so good though range tested fine but flying 300 feet overhead looses signal luckly got it back at about 100feet from the spiral dive it was doing, not impressed at all with it at all
AshleyB32

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 am

AshleyB32 wrote:i recently went from a Hitec Flash 5 to the 9x with the Frsky after seeing Bruces and its going relay well nice and smooth and good range no dropouts, My first experience on the weekend with a DX6i was'nt so good though range tested fine but flying 300 feet overhead looses signal luckly got it back at about 100feet from the spiral dive it was doing, not impressed at all with it at all

I had a Hitec 5 before my 9x.. I put the DIY mod on it as well...

I then did the same mod on the old Hitec giving it a new lease on life as a 2.4 Tx...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby AshleyB32 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am

i was thinking of doing it to my trusty old flash 5 been a great radio nice and smooth to use and small like the 9x is small too some of the other brand names ive used you have to stretch your thumbs because of the position of the controls, wonder if i can put a frsky mod in my mates dx6i radio that looses signal at 300 feet overhead, anyone done it
AshleyB32

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 pm

You could but you might have a problem since the power to the spektrum is from 4 cells and the frsky tx unit has a voltage regulator that causes a voltage drop and has to have a minimum input voltage to output correctly this might affect whether the module had enough voltage to run properly
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)