How much room in the AXN Floater?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

How much room in the AXN Floater?

Postby Fury » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 am

Quick question.
Is there enough room in the AXN Floater for a FY21A and OSD?
Or should I get a Skywalker for the room?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to set up a good FPV.
Thanks
Fury

Re: How much room in the AXN Floater?

Postby pete139 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 am

I have no experience with that plane, just some internet research because I had the same question. In the end I chose a Hobbyking Bixler which I ordered last night (A clone of the EasyStar/SkySurfer with Ailerons. Comes in kit/arf/rtf), a popular platform for FPV. Its sized in between the SkyWalker and AXN Floater.

Interested to see other comments about this.
pete139

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 am

pete139 wrote:. . . In the end I chose a Hobbyking Bixler which I ordered last night (A clone of the EasyStar/SkySurfer with Ailerons. Comes in kit/arf/rtf), a popular platform for FPV

I've also selected the same model, just waiting for HK AU to get it back in stock. If they don't get it soon then I'll buy it from HK International. I've watched a fair bit of footage from the Bixler and the video footage seems pretty stable.
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:45 am

I've been torn between the AXN and the Bixler. I'm waiting for Bruce's FPV review before I decide. In the meantime I'm actually going to use this tractor prop 2m glider with the camera mounted high and at the rear of the wing. You get a real feel of flying the plane from that view and I'm quite comfortable flying full size gliders so control won't be an issue (hopefully).

Here's a video of one flying...I'd actually have the camera further back than that...near where his fpv Tx is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZIwCNxyPjU

It should give a view similar to this on a rc sim.

What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Fury » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 am

Awesome Sid. I was thinking about the same idea of mounting the camera at the back to get a view of the plane as well.
Great minds? Let us know how it goes. Am interested in see that.
Fury

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 am

There's not much room left inside the AXN at all -- but that's just the bareback FPV model, it only has a camera and transmitter, no OSD or anything else so the room isn't an issue.

The Skywalker is a great alternative because it has so much room you can even put a packed lunch in it for those extra-long flying sessions.

I'm not so much of a fan of models with the prop up front for several reasons:

1. it's something hard and sharp that can cause injury or damage if you're unfortunate enough to hit someone or something. Models like the AXN and Skywalker have a nice soft foam front that absorbs a *lot* of energy on impact.

2. The prop causes nasty lines on the camera which can significantly diminish the FPV experience (for me anyway).

3. With the pusher configuration you don't ever have to worry about bending a motor shaft or breaking a prop if you stuff up a landing or hit something. The prop and motor will be completely safe and out of harm's way.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Fury » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks Bruce.
Now I think I'm going for the Skywalker as I want the room for all the little extras, especially the FY21A and OSD.
I did like the Maja, but a bit on the expensive side.
Once I'm a confident RC pilot then I might splash out on one, but for now looks like the Skywalker.

Thanks again mate
Fury

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I got the Bixler in anticipation of Bruce's FPV vids... Had a couple of flights (was too windy) with hard landings, no problems still as good as new... Changed all servos to digital as I may install mini mems gyros... Put carbon rod through fuse, rods in H and V stabilizers and use band method for holding wings on....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)