Charge rates

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Charge rates

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 pm

There are some caveats to parallel charging -- you shouldn't try to charge (in parallel) two (or more) packs that vary significantly in their starting charge condition.

For example, you should not charge a pack that is almost empty in parallel with a pack that is almost (or even half) full.

The reason for this is that the pack which is more discharged will end up receiving a significant amount more current than the one that already has more charge. In fact, the total current going into the relatively uncharged pack can be greater than the charge current set on your charger -- since the fuller battery may actually also deliver some current into the other one.

Unless you're charging very small packs or have a very grunty charger, parallel charging often does not save you any time either -- since you'll encounter the wattage or current limitations of most 50-60W chargers even when parallel or series-charging a couple of 3S 2200mAH packs.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Charge rates

Postby jpreou » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm

I have the two chargers, so one battery at a time to play it safe. Meanwhile my "Swizzle Foam-E" home-custom-part-plan build nears completion (I put my Futaba RX in there for now). Weather permitting, and after sorting battery placement & CG should be good for maiden today or tomorrow. I'm not working, being in between jobs (until next week) so maybe I'll get out to the field once my list of "honey do's" is complete! :-) Maybe I'll wait and maiden it with you in TOK Bruce! :-)
jpreou

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)