Hobbyking Bixler

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Hobbyking Bixler

Postby dannyzz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:26 am

hi there
I just got a hobbyking Bixler for my first plane. when i took it out for its first proper flight i noticed that the alierons did not correct themsleves when i returned the stick to the centre. I then launched it again and it would not bank right but the alierons seem to work fine on both sides. I thought that it might be the wing tips are not even
Attachments
PA064952.JPG
PA064952.JPG (158.82 KiB) Viewed 17882 times
PA064951.JPG
PA064951.JPG (172.65 KiB) Viewed 17882 times
dannyzz

Re: Hobbyking Bixler

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 am

It's very hard to tell from those pictures but certainly the wingtips should be equal and even in angle.

If they're bent, you can often straighten them by using some steam from a steam iron to slightly soften the foam and then hold it in the position you want while it cools down. Don't melt the foam though :-)

If the ailerons don't move properly (ie: if the tip parts of the ailerons barely move then disconnect the pushrods and "exercise" the ailerons by bending them back and forth several times so as to free up the hinges. Straight out of the box, the hing portion of the foam is often very stiff so instead of the whole aileron moving up and down, the tip piece hardly moves at all while the bit where the horn is moves a lot.

Let us know how you get on.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby dannyzz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am

i will give that a go tomorrow. I think that the rudder may have come loose because the whole think can off when it crashed and that may have caused it
dannyzz

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I replaced my rudder and elevator with balsa, Also changed rudder to pull/pull set up... Works much better....

If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby dannyzz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:58 am

fixed it with an iron and is pretty much the same shape but it sort of began to bubble but i guess that is normal. I will take it out when the winds die down a bit
dannyzz

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:17 am

dannyzz wrote:fixed it with an iron and is pretty much the same shape but it sort of began to bubble but i guess that is normal. I will take it out when the winds die down a bit

With such a light model you could try a glide test down a gentle grassy slope into a breeze without hitting the throttle. See how it flies. If it veers to one side or other and dips a wing, trim it and try again. Better than trying to wrestle with it once it's got some speed on and gaining altitude. From up high, any crash is likely to be a lot worse than a gentle bump into grass from four or five feet.

Edit: and always take a lot of time checking your control surface response to the stick inputs. Don't just wiggle the sticks to see if stuff moves. Make really sure things are moving in the right direction and proportionally to how much stick movement you use. I know that sounds obvious, but even old hands make silly mistakes sometimes and fly off with their rudder control reversed or something (no names and er,..... OK it was me :oops: ).
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 am

I took off with my elevator reversed once. The shortest flight of my life. :lol:
rogueqd

Postby Fury » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 am

Yeah, I did that too Rogueqd
Fury

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 am

Guilty...only ever did it once though....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby ergocentric » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 pm

defiantly should not have creases in the wings, they should be even and untwisted

as for photos, take them in bright sunlight for best results
Attachments
PA0.JPG
PA0.JPG (103.79 KiB) Viewed 17821 times
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)