Turnigy 9x Battery Question

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Turnigy 9x Battery Question

Postby ergocentric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Aussie Joe wrote:At my club that I fly at, battery holders for AA are prohibited because thay can cause a "high resistance" . The best way is to use a "welded/soldered Pack". I use the Turnigy LSD 2200mAh batteries solderd together TX and RX, thay have been used every week for over 2 years (weather permitting) with no problems form the Turnigys, just a bit more mAh then the eneloop (tested), easy to charge through the TX charge plug with any charger, no worrying about it catching on fire, no need for special storage charge (LIPO), no need to modify charger(LI FE). For me I find the nickel metal hydride AA packs (soldered) more convenient and stress-free to use.

Cheers joe

Typically I have found is three flaws; most people cannot solder well, solder stiffens the wire reducing vibration tolerance, and the heat caused by someone with poor skills will reduce the life of the battery (and the solder will make it difficult to replace)

YMMV, I soldered professionally for several decades

Eric.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Aussie Joe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:32 am

Typically I have found is three flaws; most people cannot solder well, solder stiffens the wire reducing vibration tolerance, and the heat caused by someone with poor skills will reduce the life of the battery (and the solder will make it difficult to replace)

YMMV, I soldered professionally for several decades

Eric.

I totally agree, I have been soldering since the mid 80s, professionally since 2001 (PCB assembly). I would not reconmend any one to solder batterys unless thay have 100s of hours of experience and understand fully what there doing. Just because you are male, full of testosterone doesn't mean you can solder.I allso have seen faulty welded tabs on batterys were the spot welds are just holding on ( accident waiting to happen).

My first quote in this thread was why you shoud not use battery holders, and what i use instead of battery holders and the advantages of 2200mAhAA batteries. I never intended any one to solder there own packs unless thay have the experience. HK sell cheep Rx and Tx welded-packs.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby quarry44 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 am

When it comes to the crunch,you use whatever you feel comfortable with.I learned my lesson the hard way with 1/8th scale circuit racing cars.Too many "unexplained"crashes.I've also had the problem of the battery pack losing contact due to the battery lid being squeezed through holding the tx.No battery holders for me.
It's true that some people couldn't solder to save their life,but as Joe said,welded packs can now be had at reasonable prices.
Most of my ni-cad packs are due for renewal anyway,so I'm going for LiFepo4's.Just 'cause I can. :mrgreen:
quarry44

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)