I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Bio Hazzard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 pm

You just blew my mind :O
Bio Hazzard

Postby goly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:22 pm

hi there

i am also new with the rc world
my AXN video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-Xk9qhHdA

i had few crashes with it luckily i mod the AXN before

1) can someone explain about the throw of the control horns, and how its effect the AXN
2) would digital servo improve the control surfaces? (like the HKSCM9-6)
goly

Postby Bio Hazzard » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 am

Ok, first a mistake I made when I was constructing the axn, I tightened all of the little bolts on the servo arms preventing them from moving freely as a result my servos made a whining noise, so before you fly make sure all of the control surfaces move freely. The servos shouldn't produce sound at any time, although digital servos will produce a small 'singing' sound every now and then. The ailerons require full throw, as Bruce recommends flex all of the surfaces, they need to be loose and move freely. I bought extra control rods for the ailerons as the ones that were provided are just to short and as a result the servo arm has to be placed of centre reducing the amount of throw the control surface has. For the elevator and rudder you can place the push rods in the centre hook and you should be provided with enough throw. On smaller models you have to carefully set up the control surfaces so the model behaves nicely, the nice thing about the axn is its a quite large model and just flies 100% without having to mess with anything too much.

Now with digital servos here's the difference, analog servos use trimpots to send a voltage through the circuit, when the voltage matches the voltage the receiver is sending the circuit stops turning the motor, the result is a larger dead-zone then a digital servo. Some argue that this is an advantage. Digital servos on the other hand have a small circuit and to what I believe is a hall gate or maybe a photoelectric sensor and the circuitry adjusts the motor precisely, making hundreds of movements to keep the servo arm in its correct position. So in sort digital servos have a much smaller dead-zone For this reason digital servos are preferred by helicopter pilots who have to make a lot of small fine adjustments to keep the heli hovering. But for the axn I really don't think it matters, I as everyone else on these forums use the orange line of servos, they have both digital and analog orange servos pick what you like (or whatever is in stock) I haven't used the HKSCM9-6 but I've used the HKSCM12 as those were the only in stock at the time but the HKSCM9-6 seems fine.

Cheers,
Bio Hazzard
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Here's an old post where we discussed analogue and digital servos it might be of interest.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1390&p=10321#p10262
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby goly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm

my axn is the pnf version with the stock servo
as you can see at the video it isn't stable at all :mrgreen: (i think the pilot is drunk)
got to replace them.

Bio Hazzard wrote:Ok, first a mistake I made when I was constructing the axn, I tightened all of the little bolts on the servo arms

1) you mean the bolt where the push rod is fitted in? (the one who connect the arm with rod holder)
2) where have you got push rods, for the ailerons? (the ones on HK isn't like the AXN rods)
3) can you explain the relation between the throw and the horns, and how it affect the plane?
4) is there some mode to make the axn more portable? (like bixler2 with the magnet)

5) my elevator surface isn't responsive, what should i do (move few degrees, less the 5)
*i am using stock servo
*i have checked the push rod , its not glue near the surfaces
goly

Postby drg964 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 pm

goly wrote:
5) my elevator surface isn't responsive, what should i do (move few degrees, less the 5)
*i am using stock servo

Hey Goly did you "work" the elevators, rudder and ailerons prior to fixing the horns and rods? This frees up the joint of the elevator, which is quite stiff when straight out of the box.

Take a look at Bruce's build videos of the AXN if you are not sure of what I mean.

Otherwise you may have the same issue I now have where the rod cable bends just beyond the servo. This is caused by the wire being bent (I'd had some beauty crashes :P )
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby goly » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:12 am

i have followed the those video (watched few time)
*the only difference is that i have stock servo, which will be replace very soon

drg964 wrote:Otherwise you may have the same issue I now have where the rod cable bends just beyond the servo. This is caused by the wire being bent (I'd had some beauty crashes :P )

that's my problem, what have you done about it?
i think i should channel the sleeve through hot glue, but i will have to cut my AXN at the bottom
goly

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:30 am

goly wrote:1) you mean the bolt where the push rod is fitted in? (the one who connect the arm with rod holder)
2) where have you got push rods, for the ailerons? (the ones on HK isn't like the AXN rods)
3) can you explain the relation between the throw and the horns, and how it affect the plane?
4) is there some mode to make the axn more portable? (like bixler2 with the magnet)

*i am using stock servo

Ok,
1) heres how control rods should be setup; one side is connected to the servos arm with that tiny bolt system, the other is connected to the little horn (plastic triangle shaped thingy) on the control surface. On the servo arm the bolt will have a small hole that the rod gets pushed through, this should be tightened, use an allen wrench to tighten the grub screw. The bolt that secures it to the servo arm should be lose enough that the servo arm can do its full rotation without having any stress, people commonly use a thread lock to ensure the bolt doesn't undo during flight (I didn't and haven't had any problems so far).

2) the push rods I used were Push Rod and Sleeve Set (5pcs/bag) PRODUCT ID: OR015-00601 I found shaping them quite difficult, I used a vice grip to hold one side of the control rod in and then used some pliers to bend the other. You should aim for the same 'Z' shape the current control rods have, but it doesn't necessarily have to match 100% just enough to hold them in-place well.

3) The horns on each control surface contain 3 different holes, placing the control rod in a hole closer to the control surface will increase the throw as the servo arm has to extend less to gain the same throw as it would if the control rod was in a further position. Broadly speaking the more throw your plane has the more responsive the plane will be, although this can make the plane harder to control (especially in rough conditions) So more throw is typically used by flyers who are planning to do stunt flying and less throw is used by beginner flyers or maybe someone flying in heavy wind. If you fly with a programmable radio then almost all of the flight characteristics can be programmed to make the plane easier to fly or more aggressive for stunt flying.

4) If you have already glued the wings together there is not much you can do to make the plane more portable, but if you haven't or maybe you've got a second plane you could try this. Basically I saw an axn were the wings had strong Velcro on the inside holding them together preventing them from falling out during flight. But during transportation they could be removed. Only problem being is the structure strength of the wings would be reduced noticeably.

5) The servo that went bad on my model was for the rudder, but I replaced both. I would check the to see if the servo is capable of fully extending. Then unassemble the control rod from the servo arm allowing you to freely move the control surface. Now flex the elevator several times until it becomes loose (if it breaks just use fiber tape as a hinge) The control surface should be moving a least a couple degrees in both direction. If everything I said still doesn't work try moving the control rod to a closer hole, although I don't know how this can be done once the horn has been stuck onto the control surface, as there's no way of removing it.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 am

goly wrote:
*i am using stock servo

Hi Goly,

Have you checked your transmitter (Tx) for servo end point adjustment, not sure what transmitter you are using but search your settings for "EPA" and make sure all channels are 100%. To explain, EPA is a transmitter setting that limits the servo arm travel, say at 100% the servo arm travels through an arc of 90deg if you set the EPA for 50% then the servo arm arc will only be 45deg. EPA's can be set for either end of the servo movement depending on the Tx software.

Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:21 am

Hmm, I'm thinking I might get another plane when I order some more stuff from HobbyKing which I'm about to do, what are some good ones you'd recommend under $80? I was thinking of maybe trying the rare bear, or maybe a flying wing.
Bio Hazzard

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)