I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Hallmark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 am

Hey euro foxy,

Depending on the location of the 'cracks' you could either tape across the hinge or simply glue the crack. If it is broken on the hinge you can buy hinge tape or fibre tape, but be sure to tape it so there's still flex in the joint. If you need some advice about that please ask. If it is broken across the actual surface then glue it first with foam safe CA before repairing the hinge. Balsa wood ailerons will need to be fairly well made as different thicknesses might affect trim and other control.

There is my bit for you to ponder anyway...

Hallmark
Last edited by Hallmark on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 am

theeurofoxy wrote:well it happened, first major crash, both ailerons are off and the elevator is seriously cracked,
Ideas??

Way to go theeurofoxy :D it's not a real AXN without scars.

If your airlerons and elevators still have reasonable shape glue and tape will fix them. Have a look at some of Bruces' vids pay particular attention to close shots of AXNs, most have hot glue or tape to restore control surface pivots. I have restored crunch points and misshapes on mine by soaking in hot water, straight from a kettle for about 2 minutes.
It will come out looking like a chocolate crackle, only white, the bumps can be flattened by using a biro like a rolling bin. The end result is a restored shape.
Duct tape and hot glue are your friends, don't leave home without them :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby theeurofoxy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 am

cheers guys

i did try the tape with a bit of glue, but that caused a bit of a stir as i had to land in the next field to where i was flying, as i could not turn and the wind seemed to laugh when i used rudder.... but the elevator did work fine but that was not being held together with bbq skewers like the ailerons...

i will try with a different setup today as i ordered some hinges and when they arrive i will see if i can maybe hinge them in place, as i felt that maybe that was the problem that the hinge point... will give it another go, oh and had to repair just under the motor after it landed as it went behind some bushes so i could not land it right, but that repair looks good to be honest....

if i get a chance i will get some pictures up later so we can have a laugh at my questionable diy skills....
theeurofoxy

Postby BubbyD » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 pm

So i flew my axn last weekend and absolutely fell in love with it but at the start of the flying day on sunday afternoon i plugged in my battery and poof!! There went my ESC. I still do not know the cause of the problem but i ordered another and instead of ordering from the global warehouse i ordered from the usa warehouse which limited my options. However the only one that i could find was the hk 50-60 but after some research i figured that it shouldnt hurt it so i soldered it up a few minutes ago and now am very dissapointed. It sounds like the ESC restarts itself after a bit. What could cause such action? All i want to do is enjoy my axn.

Also on the initial startup the tones are very faint and the sometimes they are loud. Do they also come pre programmed on soft start?
BubbyD

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 am

Also on the initial startup the tones are very faint and the sometimes they are loud. Do they also come pre programmed on soft start?

From the manual it appears that it is set up initially for low pole count motors that needs changing for outrunners.
See the manual on the hobbyking website under files for the ESC.
Sadly You must undergo a laborious setting up process.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:33 am

When your hinges break (as they do) you can either use tape or (as I now prefer) some hotglue.

Just put a dab of hot-glue on the hingeline and smear it along so as to leave a thin film. This film of glue is very flexible and incredibly strong. Works like a charm.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 am

[quote="RCModelReviews"]
Just put a dab of hot-glue on the hingeline and smear it along so as to leave a thin film. quote]

and best not use your finger :oops: :lol: :lol:

Depending on your planet location use a paddlepop, icypole or plain old pop stick to smear the glue. A drop of diluted dishwash liquid on the tip will stop the hot glue adhereing to the stick.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby joula » Thu May 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi,

Based on Bruce videos I also bought an AXN 3 months ago. Spent lot of time to learn and get familiar with RC world and finally the time arrived. I could fly my AXN and record the flights (I also crashed it several times :) but it seems quite strong).

Here is my first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVz_Z1O4Zw

I will upload some other flight and crash videos.

Thanks Bruce and everybody in the RC world to share your knowledge with the beginners!
joula

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 03, 2012 1:07 pm

joula wrote:Thanks Bruce and everybody in the RC world to share your knowledge with the beginners!

I am pleased you're with us in the world of AeroXtremeNoobs (AXN) :lol:

Great stuff mate...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Soooooo.......................got frustrated again today. Learnt a lot from my last flight (it's really not that hard just stay away from trees 8-) ) and needed to try again.
Out to the work paddock wind ok, controls ok, hatches batoned, flight plan memorise and shadow played, D/R set, attitude check, camera on, slowly back and throw.

Perfect flight no airleron recquired, throttle 60%,climb 30dg on horizon, altitude 30m about to right bank for slow turn........................bird strike aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh :shock:
Not so much a strike but an attack :evil: , a sea eagle same size as my AXN took offence to something struck twice and followed me to the ground. Camera broken, AXN scared for life but hot glue fixable, pilot........... :x .

What can I say........... :P

Never take life seriously it's too short , just make sure you enjoy the journey.
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)