I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby drg964 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 am

At least you have the new axn to fall back on.

Spent yesterday morning shopping around in order to get some glue so to be able to put mine back together... only to nose dive after a minute of flight this morning.

As a result the front is getting soft and out of shape so I may need some carbon fibre rods to give it strength.

More importantly I also noticed that the lipo that was in it is now 'damaged' and will leak a clear liquid if any pressure is applied. I take it is time to corectly dispose of this one.

Sigh, time to splash out a backup plane :D
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 am

Hi drg964, we need to get together I'm in Mt Sheridan. Where do you fly :?: :?:

I have a spare PET bottle nose protector :lol: I don't need at the moment and you are welcome to it.

PM if you want to make contact..............I may be old and cranky but I don't bite........................ :lol: .

As to your lipo :idea: keep it away from your house until you have disposed of it.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby drg964 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:25 am

cynr100 wrote:Hi drg964, we need to get together I'm in Mt Sheridan. Where do you fly :?: :?:

I'm in Redlynch Valley and have been prowling around the sports field next to St Andrews Catholic College (makes me sound like a dirty old man :shock: )

cynr100 wrote:I have a spare PET bottle nose protector :lol: I don't need at the moment and you are welcome to it.

Do you want to swap it for a 'spare' lipo I just happen to now have??? :twisted: :lol:

ps Will Send you a PM with my contact details
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Just a tip for you new AXN lovers out there, the AXN does fly well but on launching it needs you to be pulling up elevator.
Open the throttle about 3/4 hold on some up elevator while giving a hefty shove upward and outward.
This is because the high mounted motor exerts a considerable turning force to nose the model in before it can get up to flying speed (where the lift of the wing balances out the rotating effect).
If you are flying near the stall suddenly opening the throttle can cause a nose down this can catch you out as you attempt to climb out at low altitude.
Hence all this nose damage I keep hearing about!?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby drg964 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 am

Yep been doing that and launching with no dramas til the weekend before (it was flying well) when I flew it into a lighting tower at the sports field.

Needless to say the rear end has not been well with the cable wires to the rear now sticking (bent I suppose) causing it to suddenly take on the moves from the movie "Dodgeball" - Dip, dive and duck into the ground...

Trying to sweet talk the missus into getting another plane :mrgreen:
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby cynr100 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 am

Play soft meaningful music around the house for a day, then start crying at the drop of a hat, if she asks why say nothing just stare at the remains of your friend (AXN).
If that doesn't work just man up, steal her pants if you have to :lol: :lol:
Look at the economics of an ARF model $58 with postage, thats less than 2 cartons of beer or a carton of Bundy Cola, less than 40L of super, 1 whole fillet, 10 packets of Wheetbix/Cornflakes/Nutrigrain but only 9 of Frosty flakes. This one gets them all the time.........less than..... :o ......an afternoon with your mates at the pub.

Go on you know you can :D :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Or,if you have to justify the cost to SWMBO,that's less than the cost of one decent pair of ladies jeans,shoes,or fill in the blanks :mrgreen: :lol: ;)
quarry44

Postby Hal9000 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 am

quarry44 wrote:Or,if you have to justify the cost to SWMBO,that's less than the cost of one decent pair of ladies jeans,shoes,or fill in the blanks :mrgreen: :lol: ;)

And then the fight started........
Hal9000

Postby Hallmark » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Just a tip for you new AXN lovers out there, the AXN does fly well but on launching it needs you to be pulling up elevator.
Open the throttle about 3/4 hold on some up elevator while giving a hefty shove upward and outward.
This is because the high mounted motor exerts a considerable turning force to nose the model in before it can get up to flying speed (where the lift of the wing balances out the rotating effect).
If you are flying near the stall suddenly opening the throttle can cause a nose down this can catch you out as you attempt to climb out at low altitude.
Hence all this nose damage I keep hearing about!?

By Jove he is 100% correct. Thanks Bill I couldn't have written it that well.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:53 pm

So apply full power during a launch will just send it into the ground faster? No wonder I keep on swooping to the ground banging up my nose :( Next time I'll try launching with less throttle so the wings have enough time to generate some lift.
Bio Hazzard

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)