I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Hallmark » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 am

Hi all,

I'm new to RC and have trolled the Internet looking for the best beginner plane, radio and accessories.

On the advice of a model shop I bought the FMS Cessna 182 V2 (1400mm wingspan). I also bought a Futaba 10CG that came with a 6208SB Rx and a large balance charger that seems to do all I will need.

I selected the 182 because it resembles the aircraft I learned to fly many years ago (started in a C152 and changed to a Piper Warrior later as I prefer low wing planes). So I build the 182 and on my birthday I take it out to a large group of ovals for the maiden. Had I done my pre-flight properly (was done just not with any real attention), I would have noticed the flaps servos were mounted in correctly and either changed the set-up or reversed the channel. Instead I took off and found the Cessna was not very hard to fly. When I decided to land I switched the flaps and I chased the controls for a few seconds and eventually I was overloaded and the inevitable happened... One wrecked Cessna! :oops:

So where to from here? Troll the Internet and look for a better plane. I found Bruce's posts on YouTube and the three AXN build videos - problem solved! So now where to buy it? I looked on HK and decided against it as 1/ the Australian warehouse was out of stock and 2/ I could get it for $38.99 from another site who offered 3 day EMS delivery. This was the build version Bruce suggested and I am now sitting waiting for the Express delivery to arrive.

Well now I shall return to waiting for the postie and flying vicariously through YouTube and 'Niel's Maiden Flight'... Updates soon.
Last edited by Hallmark on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 am

Good luck -- keep us informed!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby pldb64 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 am

Another AXN maidened this past weekend as well - 3 flights of 8-10mins duration ... one very happy camper on the sticks :-)

Thanks Bruce - your advice has been a god-send!

Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby rogueqd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:07 am

I'm going to check in my 2c and say... Strengthen the nose!! (and the tail)

I bought an AXN as my first plane and it was great. Eventually I crashed it, I guess that's inevitable for a beginner, and found that the nose is easily the weakest part. It will bend, or break, at the weak point between the battery holder and the front servos. It has good side walls there, but nothing to stop the nose from bending upwards. Also, the tail has a CF rod in it, but the rod ends where the rear vent is and the tail will snap off there if you nose dive hard enough.

I tried a 3mm CF rod going from under the leading edge of the wings to about halfway down the battery holder, but the ends of it still tend to pop out. I would suggest putting a 2mm CF rod down the entire length of fuse on each side. From about 10cm down the tail right up to the nose vents. Cut a slit in the foam, squirt some glue in the slit and push the CF rod in. 2 rods half a cm apart would be even better. Also add some protective tape to the nose and belly. Remember to check your CoG afterwards.

This will make your plane much more indestructible and keep you flying after a minor/medium crashes that would have sent an unmodified AXN back to home to fix the nose.

Happy flying, and crashing. :)
rogueqd

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:57 am

Thank you all for the comments.

Bruce your three part tutorial was invaluable! Not only did it (as well as great xjet posts) help me to decide on the AXN, but it assisted me to develop my own ideas in the building process.

I want to ask the forum for comments about the maiden... After my last crush (it was more of a crush than a crash lol), I feel a bit nervous. If we go by the Phoenix simulator I have been flying, I should be winning world titles by now, but in reality I am frightened I'll crash again and blow another hundred bucks. So I was going to go to the local RC club and ask for help with my flight, what do you think? Is this plane really that easy to fly or should I be patient and wait until Saturday?

I have included some pics of the finished unit and I hope you notice the Australian decals. These were Australia Day Tattoos that are applied with water, so I thought why not? I like the look and it was a bit of a giggle anyway. I reinforced the front with lots of fibreglass tape and as you will see I used FMS servos from my Cessna so there is some excess lead that I had to spool up. I have three 2200Ma, 11.1v 20C batteries so I am assured of lots of flying time when I get up the courage again. I currently have it hooked up with a Spektrum 6 Ch Rx and a DX5e that I got with the Phoenix Simulator, but I am waiting for a 6 Ch Futaba Rx to arrive so I can get happy with my 10CG.

One last note is about the workbench I am using. It was from Bunnings Warehouse here in SA and only $99. It is great! Has all these different holes in the surface for plastic blocks to go in, which hold different items very well (including the two fuselages I have constructed on it, and it folds down to 100mm wide for easy storage. It is made by 'Craftright' if you're interested.

Ok enough for now I hope to get some advice as well as the encouragement to fly again...

Hallmark

PS: Just discovered I can only upload three pictures so will find a way to get the rest in here (I hope...) HMk
Attachments
AXN011.jpg
AXN011.jpg (136.02 KiB) Viewed 26088 times
AXN006.jpg
AXN006.jpg (172.73 KiB) Viewed 26098 times
AXN001.jpg
AXN001.jpg (235.85 KiB) Viewed 26098 times
Last edited by Hallmark on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 am

Looks like I can only post three at a time so here are the series (hope this is okay with Admin...)

Hallmark
Attachments
AXN007.jpg
AXN007.jpg (195.98 KiB) Viewed 26098 times
AXN004.jpg
AXN004.jpg (183.45 KiB) Viewed 26098 times
AXN003.jpg
AXN003.jpg (215.34 KiB) Viewed 26098 times
Last edited by Hallmark on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 am

Underside of fuselage with fibreglass tape that also goes around the nose to add strength...

The tattoo transfers...
Attachments
AXN008.jpg
AXN008.jpg (189.84 KiB) Viewed 26099 times
AXN009.jpg
AXN009.jpg (219.51 KiB) Viewed 26099 times
AXN005.jpg
AXN005.jpg (186.21 KiB) Viewed 26099 times
Last edited by Hallmark on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 am

Removed by Hallmark
Last edited by Hallmark on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 am

Removed by Hallmark
Last edited by Hallmark on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 am

Last one and I worked out how to do multiple pics lol...
Attachments
AXN010.jpg
AXN010.jpg (231.28 KiB) Viewed 26107 times
Hallmark

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)