I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby cynr100 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:38 am

If you can mount it securely there is no structural reason why you can't. The Turnigy is very similar to the standard AXN motor.
The ESC is a little "larger" than necessary but again if you can make it fit, why not.
There is an Xjet vid on YouTube where the old crew installed an ex-heli 3500kv with a 6x4e, not sure of the ESC size buit it was mounted outside the fuselage because of size. It all sounded good but the improvement in performance was down on what was expected.
I have a Skyartec Skyfun I have improved with a Turnigy 3800kv heli motor and 30a Turnigy plush ESC pushing a 5x5e, goes like a rocket and is easier to control over the original 2215kv and 25a ESC.
If you go ahead post some pics and/or vid we'd all like to see "modifications"
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby GRM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 am

Hi,

Thanks !

The AXN ARF should arrive tomorrow or Friday. Will let you know if it looks like the D2826 will mount OK. The motor is only 6g heavier than the standard motor - so I don't expect an issue. I was a bit worried reading that the standard motor drops magnets.

The 30A HobbyWing ESC only has a 2A BEC and Bruce recommends a ESC with a 3A BEC min - plus a 40A ESC is recommended for the D2826.

GRM
GRM

Postby cynr100 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

Hi GRM,
You get what you pay for in this game. A replacement AXN motor is only US$8 so it is not "quality" saying that, I have 3 and have yet to break one (not for want of trying).
If you get really energetic and start throwing the AXN around the skies in wild 3d manourves when all the servos require power the original ESC will give up, 2A bec will not be able to supply enough power.
Give the AXN a go with the original motor and the 40A ESC first as you will need to do a bit of modification to fit the Turnigy including wire extensions. Also make sure the plastic engine mount is firmly glued in, has been known to come adrift on the first flight.

Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 pm

The motor in the axn must be a "hit or miss"affair.I have 2,and never had to use the spare i bought.Yet other ones I know of had problems like odd noises,dodgy wiring,and one even feel to pieces in mid-air.It pays to check all screws on or about the motor,as often they are loose.Once sorted,I put a drop of ca on them,and I've never had one come loose.
quarry44

Postby GRM » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 am

cynr100 wrote:Hi GRM,
Give the AXN a go with the original motor and the 40A ESC first as you will need to do a bit of modification to fit the Turnigy including wire extensions. Also make sure the plastic engine mount is firmly glued in, has been known to come adrift on the first flight.
Cheers Dennis

I had planned to just what you suggest. I've bought 2 AXN ARF kits. So I'll try the second kit with the Turnigy motor once the first AXN is happily in the air.

I'll put 3.5 bullet connectors on the motors as I have the 40A ESC already set up with these.

Thanks also for the tip re the mount. My Sky Surfer died for exactly this reason

Thanks again,

GRM
GRM

Postby durav » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 am

Me again with a few questions/comments (probably 50/50 between AXN and flying)....

Taking the AXN for example, is my goal to make each control surface move 90 degrees each way (or near enough)? I assume each aircraft is different, is there a set degree value (roughly) I'm looking for for each control surface on the AXN? I watched Bruce's AXN building videos and saw a quick shot at the end of him moving the ailerons and noticed they look pretty close to 90 degrees rather than the 45 degrees mine are moving at. I notice this for all my controls as well. The most peculiar is the rudder, that moves about 45 to the left and about 30 to the right.

I might be having a brain fart or something but here's my procedure for adjusting everything:
1.) Turn servos on so they centre
2.) Straighten all control surfaces so they're zero'ed (0 degree or flush or aligned, not sure what it's called)
3.) Put the servo arm on the servo as close to a 90 degree angle as possible
4.) Connect push rod to servo arm

My first problem is the rudder problem described above. But secondly, the elevator (and this goes for flying in general) doesn't go the full 90 degree each direction. I peer in side the AXN and observe the servos and there's plenty of room for the arms to move the full 180 degree but they're not. Is that an adjustment on my transmitter(9xr)? I had a quick look but nothing seemed obvious.

Aside from the rudder/elevator problem I'm still confused as to how I fix the elevators. There doesn't look to be enough room for the servo to even move 180 degrees.

Is there a more in-depth guide to setting this stuff up that I could read?

Cheers.
durav

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Servo's generally only rotate 60 degrees.
The offset in the rudder will probably be due to stiffness in the hinge and flexibility in the push wire.
You can add to the throw on the lesser side from the transmitter although reducing the throw on the other side to even it up would probably be a better idea.
Beginners should use smaller throws rather than larger ones.
However if you must do it:
To increase the throw of the control surface use a hole in the control horn nearer to the surface and on the servo a hole further from the centre.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby durav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks Bill I'll leave it as is I think. I'll just adjust the rudder and see how close I can get it to perfect.

One thing I forgot to mention is servo jitter/shudder. From what I can tell the servo is moving ever so slightly when everything is idle. If I jiggle the servo a bit it some times stops or if I play with the controls. But as soon as I move the servo again it starts jittering again. Is it something I should sort out?
durav

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 am

From what I can tell the servo is moving ever so slightly when everything is idle.

It's down to the quality of servos, they are cheap, the original ones supplied with the AXN are terrible and don't last long, the orange (now white) servo's that Bruce suggested are much better.
But they will jitter a bit but in practice this doesn't really cause a problem.
If it's the original blue ones they will cause a problem!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby durav » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 am

Thankfully I followed Bruce's advice and bought everything he said! :)
durav

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)