I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby quarry44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 am

Yea,I tried just tape on the bottom,Den,but all it will do is a high speed ground loop.The rudder doesn't seem to do a helluva lot on the ground.I'll just go ahead and give it a go with the wheel.I note our dear Ron from "swim" had one under his AXN,but I couldn't find any reference to it.
Oh well,what could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 am

Just running up the vid now so should be on soon, I do remember seeing Rons' mono cycle undercarriage, it appeared hard to control. By the time you had the wheel upright you were at flying speed.
Going to try and make the new AXN a tail dragger with flaperons :o 8-) that way I don't have to get off the ground and, if I do, it can fly slower :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

Death of my AXN :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0oeTNs ... e=youtu.be

Way too much FUN................... :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 am

quarry44 wrote:Yea,I tried just tape on the bottom,Den,but all it will do is a high speed ground loop.The rudder doesn't seem to do a helluva lot on the ground.I'll just go ahead and give it a go with the wheel.I note our dear Ron from "swim" had one under his AXN,but I couldn't find any reference to it.
Oh well,what could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:

Here you go.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9n3VvkrhPQ&feature=plcp

Apparently the wheel alignment has to be spot on........... :lol: :lol:
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:38 am

Oh Dennis...................!
I feel you need a flight simulator.
Is there no flying club anywhere around you?
To help get that initial distance between the earth and the plane?
However I know you got a real adrenaline rush from that flight that is what keeps you going when you first begin!
I spent the learning to fly period spending more time repairing than flying, but the adrenaline rush was something I'll never forget! I felt high as a kite after crashing probably higher than the plane got!
Oh the pitying looks from my then girl friend! :oops:
She somehow missed my actual learning to fly phase after that.
It wasn't until years later when she insisted the whole family go with me to the flying site on my birthday, when after I had flown (including inverted passes of the flying strip), she looked at me and said "you seem a lot more confident"! :lol:
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Bill, you are right on the money.
I don't mind spending hours in construction for a few seconds of flight, it's that heady rush when you realise that you are actually "flying" , the inevitable crash is inconsequential.

I have looked at the local club, but for $130pa ( :o the cost of 2 RTF AXNs 8-) )no thanks and this on the application form (which will be rejected if not completed in its' entirety) -

"I, the undersigned, agree to abide by the rules set down or those that may be adopted by the Cairns Model Aero Club and the Model Aeronautical Association of Queensland, whose affiliation with the Aeronautical Association of Australia provides the guidelines and rules governing the flying of model aircraft in Australia."

There you go, fun flying with 3 levels of rules. Then I looked into the insurance you get for your $130, the excess..........................wait for it...............................drum roll..............
$5,000.00, serious :!: If you were flying a twin turbine A10 down Avenue des Champs-Elysees I would understand but the CMAC operate on a turf farm, 1/2 a square kilometer of mown grass then nothing but trees and hills.

The local area is halfway through cane harvest so in a few weeks I'll be on the prowl for friendly paddocks, I have already made some contacts but have to wait for the cane to be harvested. Thou shalt not risk a cane fire due to incompetence and a dodgy li-po :shock:

I played a dirty trick on the missus, I bought the whole mess home and laid it out on the patio table for her to notice. I could see the tears welling in her eyes from my embellished explanation and my apparent sorrow for the demise of hours of diligent construction. "I guess this means...............you'll be needing new parts" :o "We I suppose so.........if you think it's okay" 8-)

In the meantime I will keep tinkering and play with my FS........................what's that under my desk.....oh yeah nearly forgot, it's my new AXN..........come to poppa :twisted:
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I always thought that you hardy colonial types would throw caution to the wind and be more open and less hide bound than us stay at homes.
Seems your flying associations fossilised in the Victorian era or certainly before the great war!
There was kind of a revolution in our governing body the 'Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers' about 35 years ago, a great turmoil and booting out of fogies and a renaming to British Model Flying Association, which on the whole is very helpful and pro-modelling, promoting the sport and helping clubs to get and retain flying sites.
Seems like time Anzacs did the same.
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for the videos ,Den,I feel your pain!Did you find the 808 cam,or did a croc eat it?
I think I'll forego the wheel idea,and just learn to throw it harder :mrgreen:
Btw.,I have my 808 right on the nose,and left the little ring on it.I put the cam on it's velcro pad,and then thread a cable tie through the ring and the vents on the nose.Mind you,I don't think you had any vents left,did you :twisted: .
My mate gave me a phoenix flight sim,the most realistic one I've ever used.Unfortunately,HK is OS on the dongle,so it's hurry up 'n wait.
As for the club thing,I think the rules for the Oz maa and the nz one are very much in the same mould.The nz one has $10 mill insurance tho,which seems a bit over the top.On the other hand the club I'm thinking of joining has a couple of very nice flying fields,whereas my current one is starting to be overrun by people with dogs.The fees are exactly the same as your example.The only other thing is the 50km round trip to get to the club field.With petrol at $2.20 a litre now,that's an expensive trip :( .I'm still undecided.
quarry44

Postby quarry44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Oh,and the mfnz's insurance excess is $1000.This pretty much ensures that the average member gets absolutely no benefit from the excessive insurance cover.I wonder if one of the executive is an agent for the insurance company?!
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:13 am

Found the 808, about 10m away good thing it was bellyup with the velcro showing. After all that it wasn't working..............aarrghh :shock: :? . Normally I mount it on the wing, this was its' first (and last :lol: :lol: ) fuselage flight.
Purchased my FS through AliExpress, now they are even cheaper US$10 with free shipping
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... d=0&catId=
Got mine for $20 and arrived in less than 10days. :) . Don't take any notice of the pictures, the currenty model is "switchless" and the software is available through other sources if the OEM discs don't work.

Guys................don't feel sorry for me, I still have a HK450GT Pro, a Titan 450 SE V2, a Skyartec Skyfun and a new AXN. I have the equipment ............just short on talent........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I'd rather be doing this than down the pub.
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)