I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Hallmark » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Good idea is about 50% or a little more. Then you'll be fine.

Please let us know how you go...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:06 am

Tried it and it does work perfectly, now that you've mentioned that I can really see the nose dip when more power is applied as a result. Also launching with the wind seems to send it heading towards the ground faster :?:

The other thing I was noticing was my flight time is getting really short. I do fly the plane pretty hard but I didn't think I was flying the plane that hard, like on my first flight I was flying really slow and I got around 45 mins without getting into lvc, then next flight I got low enough for lvc and battery read 3.3 v on meter, but recently I've been getting around 5 min at almost 100% full flight in moderate wind. The motor just cuts but I still have control left, and when I land it it still gives me full power on the throttle, so when I got back I checked the voltage again and it was at 3.77 - 3.88 which should be ok? Because I was under the impression that the axn would do around 15 mins on a 2200 mah battery. It just doeshn't make sense why it would cut out at 3.77-3.88. I bought the PNF axn and replaced elevator and aileron servos with orange ones as one of the blue ones had gone bad :( Maybe its the esc or something but the escs lvc should be @ 3.3v or is the bec overloading? also on one occasion when I hit lvc the rx had to rebind to my tx giving me now control for a few seconds, almost causing me to crash :/

-- SETUP --

ESC: stock 20A
Aileron servos: stock blue servos
Rudder servo: orange digital servo
Elevator servo: orange digital servo
Rx: Spektrum AR6210 with satellite & dsmx
Motor: stock 2100Kv 3S Outrunner
Prop: stock5x5inch x 2pc
battery: Zippy 3S 15C 2200mah
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:23 am

I would recommend that you replace your speed controller with this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oller.html
It says in the blurb that it has a linear BEC but in fact the latest versions have a switching BEC which is better.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 am

This is the one I've seen bruce use, think its better? Or should I just get the 40A one?
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Depending on your ESC the LVC can be programmed, some use a programming card, others a labourious process of beep counting. A LVC at 3.7 does seem a tad high, check the specs on your ESC for reprogramming I would aim for 3.4v.
If the ESC is the original chances are it is the ESC, they do not have a good rep and generally only lasted a few flights if lucky, go with the one Bill suggested, you can't have too many amps :D :lol:
Li-pos can regenerate back over your LVC point, best rely on this only in emergencies as continued reuse of this regeneration can shorten your battery life.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:07 pm

When I die I'm leaving everything to the wife

Cynr you hadn't posted for five minutes I was beginning to wonder if the worst had occurred!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm

AAaaaaaah.................nope still here.
My much vaunted Flymentor arrived at the same time as tax preparation, seeing as I was getting a refund :D that took precedent. Before finishing that job I was tooling around with the Flymentor and my PC had a coronary :cry: .
Enter new laptop with Windows 7 :roll: reconstruct my tax files, try and save the old h/drive :? :x , setup wireless network (trade off to SWMBO for my laptop and she got a new freezer as well :roll: )

Thanks for the thoughts Bill, you make me feel wanted :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Bio,the first rule of flying:ALWAYS take of and land INTO the wind.That said,I still manage to cock it up sometimes,even after 30-odd years flying. :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby Bio Hazzard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Its been quite windy lately, so my skills are being tested. On one occasion I ran out of room fly into the wind so a did a turn & landed with the wind.... I barley missed the fence to my park and safely landed on the road, lesson learned :)
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I mentioned a few posts ago about my water bottle repair for my ailing AXN, I was watching Bruce's pre-nitro AXN vid and saw that his poor old AXN had a nose that would qualify for this easy fix. Undoubtly there are others in the same boat so here is my input to AXN longevity :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKPUGuE0 ... e=youtu.be
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)