I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby cynr100 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 am

Don't want to steal your thread but did a dry fit of my AXN and looks like it has been bit by the QC bug. I have the knowledge of a brick in regards aerodynamics but would assume that having the main and tail plane in the same parallel is critical to good flying. A simple paring with a sharp object should fix the issue, I'm on 24hr call so will have to swap the rum for a light beer hahaha!!!
DSC08330.JPG

DSC08332.JPG
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 am

I see what you mean and yes a sharp adjustment should correct the issue. But if you experience some offset perhaps trimming the ailerons in a bit will help? Not sure but no doubt the Omnipresent Bruce will weigh in on the discussion and provide us with words of wisdom and guidance to clear up this dilemma soon enough...

Check out my E-Flite T-34 blog if you have time. I am off to the club for the first time tomorrow to maiden her and I can't wait!!!

Good luck with the AXN they are little beauties!

PS: You cannot steal the thread as it is not mine... :)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am

Have been watching, good luck tomorrow.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby rogueqd » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I just used extra glue. The gap is small, only about 1mm if I remember. I sat the plane on a table and used two stacks of blocks to hold the main wing level, then made two smaller stacks to hold the tail plane (horizontal stabilizer) level. The glue than comes with the plane expands a bit as it dries, plus I used a little extra on the side with the gap. I put small weights on the tail plane to make sure it fit snugly and left it over night.
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Generally speaking small misalignments like the one pictured won't matter too much.

In theory, it would mean that you'd get a slight turn induced when you used the elevator but I doubt you'd notice the effect in practice, until the angle was quite a bit greater.

Just throw it together, try to get things as straight as you can, and fly it. I've seen some really badly put together AXNs and they all fly just fine.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 am

Have been ready to fly for 2 days now but the weather is not playing, might order an RC submarine while I am waiting.:-0
I have a 5m tower at work I can launch from so should be able to sort any bugs before it hits the ground :-)
cynr100

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 am

cynr100 wrote:Have been ready to fly for 2 days now but the weather is not playing, might order an RC submarine while I am waiting.:-0
I have a 5m tower at work I can launch from so should be able to sort any bugs before it hits the ground :-)

You reckon that'll give it enough starting altitude to get to the scene of the crash eh? :lol:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:59 am

cynr100 wrote:Have been ready to fly for 2 days now but the weather is not playing, might order an RC submarine while I am waiting.:-0

lmao - love your work!

I went out today and flew for about 30 minutes. One of the Instructors at the club trimmed mine in and did some mixing, but I think the elevator needs to be toned down as it always seemed to want to pitch up regardless of what I did. Perhaps it was me, but I'll look into it.

I got some 808 (not HD) film of the flights, but I'll need to edit them somewhat or watchers will become sea sick for sure :roll:

I'll Express Post some flying weather - should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 am

Hahaha!!!! yep was going to aim for he deepest puddles :-))
When I get this baby in the air with the HK keyfob, will Youtube the vid of my work place, lots of obstacles and water traps (poop water that is!).

Hallmark, mailman is not going to get through have received 45mm rain in the past hour.
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 am

cynr100 "Hallmark, mailman is not going to get through have received 45mm rain in the past hour."

I'll include 'floaties' on the envelope for the postie, but not the type you deal with at work :lol:
Hallmark

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)