Some Advice About Battery Life Please...

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Some Advice About Battery Life Please...

Postby rogueqd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm

I just time my flights. Got for a 10 min flight (5 min if you use the throttle a lot) then land and test the battery. You can then calculate roughly how much flying time you have left until your battery is "low". I rarely use more than 1/2 throttle, so I find my batteries usually last about 30 mins. I land after 20 mins and check them to see if I can fly another 10, or maybe just 5.
I have my ESC set up to cut the power, but I've never taken my batteries that low.
rogueqd

Postby Hallmark » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'm buying a watt meter this week and hoping to get all my ducks in a row for my next flights. I have 3 batteries so I should get some good times in.

I have ordered two more AXNs. One for my son and another for me. I also received my collet and 6x4 prop so I am hoping to test that out too.

More updates soon...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby pldb64 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am

Hi HM,

Just be aware that changing the prop on your AXN will also vary the amount of current being drawn by the motor (i.e. if the motor needs to work harder to spin the different sized prop, then it'll pull more current from teh battery).

You'll be able to check the new setup with the watt meter but you want to be sure you don't exceed the continuous current rating of the ESC. Again the 80% rule can apply here - if you've got an ESC rated at 25A continuous current, then aim not to exceed 20A. That will ensure you get good longevity out of your setup (assuming you don't run into the unfortunate ESC malfunction that Bruce captured on one of his xjet youtube videos - but that was pure bad luck).

The watt meter will allow you to see what current you're pulling with either the stock 5x5 prop or the new 6x4.

Likewise, if you start out using a tired old battery and it works fine, don't assume the same will be true when you swap out the old battery for a new one. If you suddenly introduce a brand new battery with a higher C rating that the old one (lets say you buy a 35C rated battery when the old one was 20C), then that may change the way your system will work and it should be checked prior to flight again.

Hope that helps
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)