New AXN Build with Trial Modifications

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: New AXN Build with Trial Modifications

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you Hakan
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Here is the next stage - I painted the fuse blue and now I am trying to decide what colour to paint the wings and tail plane assembly. Suggestions are welcome...

I am grateful for all the suggestions about the servos only time will tell but it looks good...
Attachments
Blue Fuse 03.jpg
And the last.
Blue Fuse 03.jpg (55.1 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
Blue Fuse 02.jpg
Another angle.
Blue Fuse 02.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
Blue Fuse 01.jpg
Here is the painted fuse...
Blue Fuse 01.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby hakank » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:38 pm

That is really looking good!

I was about to suggest florescent red, maybe 1/2 on the upper side of the right or left wing and florescent yellow on a part of the underside of the wing. That's for visibility but I think you will kill the nice look the fuselage has now. I had some issues to see my AXN in the air before I did that paint job. I'm probably getting old..

/Håkan
hakank

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:25 pm

I'd be interested to know why you've opted for submicro servos rather than 9g ones.

My only concern with the tiny servos is that you lose torque and the gears tend to be more frail than with the beefier 9/10g units. The weight saving is obviously miniscule.

Most 5V BECs actually put out somewhere between 5 and 5.6V so I wouldn't worry about that -- however, some of those small servos can/do suck a lot of current so I'd make sure (once it's all built) that moving all the surfaces vigorously at the same time doesn't cause the BEC to shut down. If it does, you can always use an external UBEC of suitable rating -- much lighter than a separate battery pack for the RC gear.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks Hakan, I think I will look at the rack to see what might match the blue, but I have some stickers that I will use to help with orientation in the air, stay tuned though...

Bruce, the easy answer to the question about the servos is I don't know why. The torque is about 1 kg/cm is that good? All double dutch to me I'm afraid. What is a UBEC please and do you have a video on it? lol of course you do :lol:

Will finish more of the bad look AXN today and post photos as I go...
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Here is another update with the AXN build...

I got the fuse painted and will put in a few silver stripes and highlights when I get a fine brush :)

Now I made a really bad rookie error and when I glued the tail plane on I got glue in the elevator tube :x so I have spent hours sitting here moving the push rod in and out and removing the globules of glue that this activity produced. I was going to really carefully put some acetone down the tube from inside to drip through and out the tail which I will hang so it falls clear of the foam, but any advice would be great because as it stands I will have to make the ailerons elevons or we won't be flying!!!

Here are the latest pics...
Attachments
Colour Scheme 03.jpg
Front view.
Colour Scheme 03.jpg (128.85 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
Colour Scheme 02.jpg
I took the Clouds Fly stickers off and put these on...
Colour Scheme 02.jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
Colour Scheme 01.jpg
I like the look, but highlights are needed.
Colour Scheme 01.jpg (154.36 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Here are the reinforcements that I had discussed with another blogger - see if you think this will work I am hoping they will provide enough support. I used hot glue and put quite a bit all along the side so it will bind the wood to the foam well.

I took it quite far back into the cavity as you will see in the second picture. My next challenge will be the area under the motor that tends to break when there are unplanned landings... I am also going to try and lacquer the painted areas somehow as the paint is very brittle.

I have abandoned any idea of installing the landing gear I previously showed because I have discovered the weight of the wings, ESC and servos render the gear I bought totally useless as it is too light :lol: but I will find something suitable this week.

Again I welcome suggestions.
Attachments
Inside Reinforcement 02.jpg
A deeper look inside.
Inside Reinforcement 02.jpg (120.6 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Inside Reinforcement 01.jpg
Tongue Depressors are great for AXNs
Inside Reinforcement 01.jpg (171.14 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Colour Scheme 04.jpg
Great guys to deal with 100% satisfaction guarantee...
Colour Scheme 04.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Like your work, have given mine the hotwater treatment and it looks to have restored some shape, now I'm going to steal your tongue depressor idea for an internal servo/ESC bay and provide some internal support.
Shame on you with the glue, at least it will make a good static display :mrgreen:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 am

cynr100 wrote:Like your work, have given mine the hotwater treatment and it looks to have restored some shape, now I'm going to steal your tongue depressor idea for an internal servo/ESC bay and provide some internal support.
Shame on you with the glue, at least it will make a good static display :mrgreen:

I am hoping to do something to score a "Love your work" tag from you mate, but in the meantime I'm glad you are on the road to redemption. Do you want me to send you some depressors lest you should become depressed trying to locate one or three? Let me know...

I am going to finish the paintwork with a clear lacquer have you got any suggestions?

More pics of mods this week (bit busy earning money to buy more stuff to crash)... :lol:

HMk
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

My vids are nearly ready for YouTube, you should be able to give me a razz after that.

I do love your work :mrgreen: :lol:

Not sure if clear lacquer would be a good idea, would be impressive, but you would probably need more care in the selection of the right one least you turn the silverblue flier into a pile of goop. :P
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)